Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Dry fly tails
« on: 06/01/2009 at 16:45 »
The topic about dry fly tips on the main forum, got me thinking

So here is a little tip for tying tails and getting them to sit up and the fly to sit down, with a nice footprint :z16
Many of you may use it already, but its handy and simple, pity about the pictures with the fingers, but i'll work on getting them better :z16 (have had a go :z16)

Tie in 4/5 fibres of Coq de leon

Put one turn of silk under the fibres

Slide the thread up the shank

Pull the turn up to the bottom of the fibres and let them splay out

Tie down any loose fibres and spread them gently

finish off the rest of the fly how ever you want

Sandy

Cameron deBoth

Re: Dry fly tails
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2009 at 19:26 »
Thats a great tip sandy, thanks for sharing.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:06 »
Sandy,

do you think that the price tag attached to C-D-Leon is justified? or does it have floating qualities that merit the price? just asking as I tied some John Tyzak CDC Olives but substituted the C-D-L for microfibbets.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:25 »
Iain

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to feathers over synthetics :z6.
I always founds microfibbets to be too stiff, the Coq de leon is softer and has a natural sheen as well as being pleasantly coloured.
As for the cost, well i bought a packet with 10 feathers about 4 years ago and i still half of them, each feather make a lot of flies when you use 4-5 fibres.
You dont need more :z16 and it wasn't that expensive :grin
Pardo flor de scoba is the Colour :z16
And it makes great tails for CDC spiders and small baetis type nymphs (both tied in the same manner as above)

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:31 »
Iain

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to feathers over synthetics :z6.
I always founds microfibbets to be too stiff, the Coq de leon is softer and has a natural sheen as well as being pleasantly coloured.
As for the cost, well i bought a packet with 10 feathers about 4 years ago and i still half of them, each feather make a lot of flies when you use 4-5 fibres.
You dont need more :z16 and it wasn't that expensive :grin
Pardo flor de scoba is the Colour :z16
And it makes great tails for CDC spiders and small baetis type nymphs (both tied in the same manner as above)

Sandy

I have to agree with Sandy natural is always better than synthetic, colour is less regular which is more like the real thing & it also gives better movement & normally less weight.  :z16

Coq de leon makes pretty good tails for Alder imitations by the way. :z4  :z4  :z4

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:39 »
Sold!

fair play, I'll get some and give them ago. Maybe Orvis have some.

Do I have to ask for the 'Padre flour del scuba' in a foreign accent?

Catman,

why didn't you tell me that before I used a tiny grizzle hackle for my Alder tails (I know it's unconventional but whenever could I be accused of making sense?)
Oh! and what did you use for your legs? (Alder legs that is).

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:41 »
What tails? :z8

:z4 :z4 :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:41 »
Never used it before to be honest!
have actually used more foam than anything else! especially for emergers and foam head buzzers or lum heeds as i call them.
Hold there till i get a pic up of these bad boys  :grin

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:44 »

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:48 »

Lum heed hares ear size 14 i thinks -

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:49 »
Sandy,

you need to revisit the picture you posted bud! they clearly had thin white taily things sticking out of their bottoms. (or do I need to spend my chritmas Specsaver vouchers?)

cheers for the lakeland link

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:51 »
Iain

Knotted Goose Biots.

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:52 »
You mean like Baz's buzzer :z4

I think you are looking at the gills :wink

Alders don't have tails per-se, mind you if there are any entomologists out there to correct this, i'm willing to learn :z5

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 06/01/2009 at 22:54 »
Thats just a wee white biot in that tail works good as a shuck or whatever the fish want it be :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 06/01/2009 at 23:01 »
Defo not like Baz's buzzer :grin

Baz, you could have removed the knot of leader before posting the photo - you're so lazy :z7

OK Sandy I'll call the white filamenty breathery things down the flank - gills but from a fly tying standpoint (although not entomologically correct) I'm sticking with it having a white tail.......why am I arguing with a judge??? :roll

LuxemIain nil pwa :oops

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com