Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

What are you tying tonight?
« on: 29/12/2008 at 22:09 »
Just thought it would be intrestings  if people posted pictures or discriptions of flies they were busy tying up to give us people with limited thoughts some good ideas!
I will post some pics shortly  :z4

Sandy Nelson

Re: What are you tying tonight?
« Reply #1 on: 30/12/2008 at 16:33 »
HI Baz

Just finished tying my MPH flies, a Size 12 Pheasant tail Baetis nymph, as effective as the Oliver Edwards one IMHO, but simpler to tie. Good for all Olive nymphs

I'm also tying some classic Don style dries known as the Badger and Yellow for another swap

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2008 at 17:29 »
HI Baz
Just finished tying my MPH flies, a Size 12 Pheasant tail Baetis nymph, as effective as the Oliver Edwards one IMHO, but simpler to tie. Good for all Olive nymphs
Sandy

Sandy

Would be grateful for the description of your dressing for that nymph. It looks very good to me. :z16

Cheers

Irvine

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2008 at 19:06 »
Some nice looking flies there Sandy!
Wish my camera took photos like that  :shock

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 30/12/2008 at 19:25 »
I could try a step by step if you like :z16
give me this evening, i'll give it a go, probably easier than trying to describe it.

Hook: B175
Thread : tobacco bennechi 12/0
Rib: Copper wire
Tail/thorax/back: Pheasant Tail
Abdomen: Pine squirrel fur
Thorax: Fox squirrel (spun)

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 30/12/2008 at 19:26 »
Sounds like a plan Sandy  :z16
This is what i have been up to - and loads of them to  :cry!

These are the main cormorants that i was using last season and they produced alot of fish even if they were being pulled behind a blob! :oops

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 30/12/2008 at 20:09 »
Baetis nymph step by step :z16

Much more fun than watching the telly :grin

Starting

Tie in approx 4-5 strand of pheasant tail (work out the length first)

Then tie in a piece of copper wire

Dub some pine squirrel quite thinly

Wind forward to about 3/5ths of the length of the overall fly.

Put some fox squirrel onto thread, be careful it falls off pretty easily, you could wax it, but i feel it creates lumps.

Create a loop with the thread and using a dubbing spinner spin the fox squirrel so it becomes spikey but tight on the thread.

Wind back from the eye of the hook, brushing the fibres forward as best you can, then tie off at the meeting point with the Pine squirrel

Fold pheasant tail back to form thorax cover and tie in with 2 turns of thread

Take pheasant tail to back of fly and catch in with the copper wire, if you tie the wire in on top then you get almost a full turn under the pheasant tail before it catches, kicking the tail up nicely.

Wind 4 turns of wire up to back of thorax and tie in

Finally whip finish , pick out most of the hair from the thorax with a needle so its scruffy and then varnish.

:z16
I hope you enjoyed that as much as i did, sad bugger that i am :z4

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/12/2008 at 20:28 »
Nice one Sandy :z16

I'd love to see more like this on the forum ..... and then I could perhaps choose some of my favourites to put on the main website :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 30/12/2008 at 20:36 »
Nice and easy to follow step by step and that camera of yours makes you look like a half decent tier!  :wink
Very good looking fly and look forward to seing your next step by step!
Maybe a straight forward fly for youreself but i certainly learnt something new there , thanks again  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 30/12/2008 at 21:16 »
Nice flies Sandy - & it's great to see a SBS's on a very useful flee.

What type of hook did you use for the  Badger & Yellow?

What is your lighting, background 'studio' set up for your SBS's (or even just still macro shots?) I've photographed a few flies in their various states of dress but have held back on the SBS due to the poor outcome of the stills.

My most successfull River Don Nymph has been a slightly weighted traditionally tied PTN so I'm always on the lookout for variants.

Iain

Still haven't a new vise yet - I'm toying with the Renzetti traveller ....eh?....2000?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #10 on: 30/12/2008 at 21:26 »
Just a quick question sandy , Where did you whip finish? The eye or behind the thorax?

Baz

If you look just behind the Thorax you will see where Sandy Has Whip Finished his Fly,
Neat fly by the way Sandy, loved the step by step.

Alex

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 30/12/2008 at 21:28 »
I eventually sussed it out Alex but thanks for pointing it out, what you got in the vice just now anyway?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #12 on: 30/12/2008 at 21:31 »
If I can stop coughing long enough,  :z6 Black Diawl Bachs with Red Holo rib size 14. Been trying for ages to get a photo but I keep coughing & they come out blured. :mad

OK You can have it against a blured wooden door

or against a blured Blue wall

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 30/12/2008 at 22:46 »
Iain

heres my "Studio" :z4 :z4 :z4

All the pictures are shot, hand held, on Macro, with soft flash against the tying board. The tying board is left where i have it during tying.
The Camera is a Ricoh R8 compact. Which seems to be very good at the detail stuff. I'm struggling to find as good results at Family type photos with it :z10, but for flies its perfect (it only cost me £125, So chuffed to bits :grin) I imagine once i suss the right settings it'll be just fine, but i seem to take a lot more pictures of flies anyway :z4

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 30/12/2008 at 22:50 »
Oh Aye

The hook on the badger and yellow is one of the Varivas wave barbless hooks i mentioned previously, size 14 :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com