Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Multi section rods
« on: 19/12/2008 at 19:38 »
Was asked by a friend about a 6 or 7 piece rod for fishing in the hills. Anyone got thoughts/experience of multi section rods?? I have one but made it up from a stateside blank, he's looking for one as a 60th birthday present.

snookymike

Re: Multi section rods
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2008 at 19:48 »
look for CTS Blanks! http://www.fineflyrods.com

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2008 at 20:03 »
Bit of a vested interest there snookymike.

Peter I can't see past the March Brown Hidden water 9ft 5# 7 piece. Ideal rod for sticking in the rucksack. Magnus reviewed one in FF&FT a few years ago. Great customer service when I broke a tip on one also.

You can get "Flextec" travel rods on E-bay at the moment again 7 piece  and a real ateal at the price. If you come to the next Outcasts you can have a chuck .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flextec-Wilderness-Fly-Travel-Rod-8ft-7-pieces-4-5_W0QQitemZ390017743003QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item390017743003&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/march_brown_fly_rods.html

:z18

Jim 

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/12/2008 at 20:07 »
Orvis frequent flyers are pretty good :z16

Sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 19/12/2008 at 20:23 »
Hi Jim,
          Yep, the Flextec rods are amazing value . Interesting advertising blurb too ....
A great feature of the "Wilderness" is its unique flexible tip that greatly improves bite detection,

??? ??? ???  :z4 :z4 :z4

Peter only thing about multi sections I,ve found is that it's best to tape the joints otherwise the coming loose occasions can get a bit annoying. I,ve a 7 pc 7 wt March Brown  which I use as a saltwater travel rod and it is excellent , (when the joints are taped  :wink). Very well made rods apart from that .

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2008 at 20:57 »
I use a march brown also , 10 piece 9ft 5 wt, a little bit tippy but fine for up the hills.
Executive Performance "EP 905-10"
 :z16

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2008 at 21:02 »
I use the Orvis Frequent Flyer and am VERY happy with it!!  I thought I would just use it for travelling and long hikes and found I used it a lot more for general purpose work - when not fishing bamboo rods!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2008 at 21:04 »
Anyone any idea how the frequent flier is compared to the March Brown as i wouldnt mind upgrading my rod for something not so tippy!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 19/12/2008 at 21:07 »
Baz

The 7 piece "Hidden Water"  is not tippy at all , must be the 10 piece , I'm not sure if Ben has any frequent fliers in the Orvis shop in Banchory , if he has and your in the vicinity I'm sure he'd let you try one out.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 19/12/2008 at 21:16 »
I wonder if  Mike has an opinion on the ten piece March brown as it was him i bought it from, it casts fine but in a wind i reckon i would struggle!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 20/12/2008 at 00:34 »
Hi Baz

Sorry I can't remember much about the rod now, I don't think it was this year? I do remember thinking that it cast rather nicely for a rod with so many sections though.

Best wishes
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #11 on: 20/12/2008 at 02:36 »
Hi Peter

I'd steer him towards a 4-pce rod, the convenience of more sections is outbalanced by the added weight and getting all the sections lined up and keeping them aligned.
The March Brown Hidden Water 9ft #5 is a fast action, stiffish rod - decent value - I've also had a breakage with that rod but March Brown were exceptionally quick about replacing the rod.
I've used a CTS Affinity 4pce - very nice rod indeed. Quite a distinctive action, deeper than some of the current bunch.
I use an #8 Frequent Flyer as a backup for saltwater fishing - again a good rod but not in the same league as say the Helios #8 I had on a recent trip - awesome rod!
Of the less pricey 4 pce rods around now I'd suggest checking out a Greys X-Flite - new on the market - light stylish rods, the two I have are a match for any premium rod of just a few years back and give some of the current lot a damned good run for their money.
If you know the sort of rod he likes and the lineweight I may have something you can borrow so he can try one. The choice of rod is really a personal thing - depends on the length, line-weight and action he likes.

Magnus

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 20/12/2008 at 16:38 »
eried hard to convince him about 4 pc rods without success but I'm still working on that. Thanks for your offer I'll maybe take you up on that one.

have a good christmas.

Peter

Alex Burnett

« Reply #13 on: 22/12/2008 at 07:37 »
Anyone any idea how the frequent flier is compared to the March Brown as i wouldnt mind upgrading my rod for something not so tippy!

Baz

If we get a day at Haddo I will bring along my 2 March Brown Hidden water 9ft 5# 7 piece rods & you can set them up for Floater & Intermediate & have a play & see what you think.

Myself I think they are an ideal travel rod & took one to Tasmania when I went there earlier this year, in fact untill I got my Barrio 5wts I used one as my every day rod.

Alex

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 22/12/2008 at 23:12 »
Is it common practise to tape the sections together?
I Have noticed with the 10 piece, sections do tend to turn and once lost the 3 top sections in the drink but luckily my flies fished them out when i pulled my line back in  :shock

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com