Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What is .........?
« on: 16/12/2008 at 21:45 »
Hi folks :cool:

What is your favourite fly pattern for tying ..... and why do you like tying that one?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

Re: What is .........?
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2008 at 21:51 »
I like tying a black skinny buzzer with copper cheeks as its easy and always produces the goods when all else fails for me  :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2008 at 08:40 »
for much the same reason as Ian, I like tying Klinks, cant beat taking fish on the top  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2008 at 09:08 »
I just love to tie flies :grin

But if i had to pick something that gives me real pleasure to make it would be the Waterhen Bloa.
There is something about the chaotic elegance and simplicity that appeals to me. (and its not as easy as it looks :wink)

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2008 at 11:14 »
Spiders :grin

Any spider really. So simple, yet so effective  :z16

Cracking photo Sandy.

Irvine

PS Santa bring you a new vice Sandy? That doesn't look like the trusty old Snowbee in that photo.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #5 on: 17/12/2008 at 11:37 »
had a quick look for this, Waterhen Boa feathers, cant find. Any help? Anyone fancy posting me a few, to tie up some? I can send some materials your way?

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 17/12/2008 at 12:29 »
Cameron

The feathers are from the underside of a waterhen wing.
Try Cookshill Fly tying

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/

Cheers  :z18

Irvine

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #7 on: 17/12/2008 at 12:36 »
Cameron

The feathers are from the underside of a waterhen wing.
Try Cookshill Fly tying

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/

Cheers  :z18

Irvine

Cheers Irvine,

That was the first place I looked, I'll look again :D

Cam

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 18/12/2008 at 12:44 »
Mike, I hate tying flies & could never do it commercialy (even if I was good enough) I'd be bored sh*****ss. tying 11 flies of the same pattern in one sitting had me reaching for the Scotch.

For me it's more of what do I like tying at any given moment, which usually either ties in with some upcoming outing or a pattern featuring a new material or technique to me.

I'm tying small copper headed tungsten nymphs along with some Klinks, electric biot buzzers, deer hair emergers & the like so I enjoy these at the moment (in smallish quantities)

as for a particular pattern - I don't have one

bah! humbug

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2008 at 15:31 »
Irvine

The trusty old snowbee, started to flare, and was looking a little scruffy :cry So having a few shekkels in the biscuit tin
And no need to buy a new flyrod or blank for a change :shock I thought i'd splash a wee bit on a nice vice.
I tried just about everything till i found one that suited the way i tie flies. Funny how when you are about to spend a bit more cash you get very picky.
So the vice in the picture is  Renzetti presentation 3000. Its Luuuuurrrverlyyy :cool:

Cameron

I get my Moorhen wings from Cookshill too :z16, but i do have a few if you struggle. Somers had some last time i was in (sportfish or lakeland should have too, as veniards do them)
The cookshill stuff is better quality feathers though :z16 Been toying with getting a whole skin, but i only use the wings so why bother :z6

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 18/12/2008 at 16:33 »
Here's some of the ones I'm currently involved with;

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #11 on: 18/12/2008 at 17:13 »
So the vice in the picture is  Renzetti presentation 3000. Its Luuuuurrrverlyyy :cool:

Sandy

Sandy

I agree. I've had a Renzetti presentation for about 5 years. Got it a half price as an ex display model. Dunno if mine is a 3000, it just said presentation on the box. Should last me a lifetime so the cost spread over quite a few years does not look so bad. :z16

Cheers

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 18/12/2008 at 17:30 »
Here's some of the ones I'm currently involved with;

Iain

Some nice looking flees there Iain, better no leave your box lying baout if I'm nearhand  :z4

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 18/12/2008 at 17:45 »
What is your favourite fly pattern for tying ..... and why do you like tying that one?

Claret bumble (or really any bumble pattern) I'd guess, very rewarding to get right and doubly rewarding to fish with  :z16

Don't be looking for a piccie :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 18/12/2008 at 17:53 »
Don't be looking for a piccie :!

:z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com