Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Vintage tackle and flies from Aberdeen
« on: 13/10/2008 at 09:42 »
Hello all,

Just wanted to bring to your attention a new web site that I have been working on (it's only just started and should grow over the next few weeks). It's about the history of Fishing tackle from aberdeen (from the 1820 to around 1940) - there is also a section on classic salmon flies from the area:

Sorry it's a long web name, best stick it in your favourites !

www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk

Please let me know your thoughts...

Cheers

Colin

Cameron deBoth

Re: Vintage tackle and flies from Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2008 at 10:26 »
Looks good and you can tell you have been having a good look afround for info etc. cheers :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2008 at 12:38 »
Colin,
Nice website!

I might be able to help you out with some flies. I was given a heap of traditional flies years and years ago by Horace and Jim from Somers. Must have been early 80's. Anyway, many of them where traditional Dee patterns. They should be in a box in my tackle room...from memory there was a Ballater, Dee Snow Fly, Yellow Eagle, White eagle, Brown Eagle, Irvine, Black Heron, Grey Heron, Gled wing and a few others.

Also, we are friends of David and Carro Irvine of Drum and I know David has much of his fathers and grandfathers fishing tackle. I will ask if he would be kind enough to see if there are any fly boxes in storage that he might be willing to photograph. He has been doing an inventory of bits and bobs up at Drum recently so may even know whats there.

Lastly, its a shame I had not known about this site before as my ex-wifes grandmother used to tie flies for a tackle shop in Belmont street. She did this as a young lady, from about the age of 17 to about 25. She built the wings whilst someone else did the bodies. All I know about the shop was that it had an upstairs where the girls tied flies and a rod maker made mainly salmon rods and that this was circa late 1930,s. Unfortuantly she passed away recently, but before she lost her faculties she would have been a useful resource for you.

Anyway, keep up the good work...
Rob

« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2008 at 13:10 »
Thanks for your very interesting comments Rob, don't you just love the internet!

I would love to see your flies - esp the Irvine (named after Sandy Irvine of Drum) - I have the pattern but never seen it tied, also be v interested in the Ballater and the others.

Yes I would love to know a bit about the Drum collection - I have the patterns for the "Drum" flies (although one I think is incomplete) again invented by Sandy Irvine.

Your ex-wifes grandmother would have worked at William Browns shop on Belmont street when it was being run by James Harper - do you know her christian name as I have some records from the Browns business at this period.

I'm up in Aberdeen (well Aboyne where my mum stays) next week (Mon - Thursday) so don't know if there would be a chance to meet up/look at flies etc. You can get me direct on Scottishtrout@btinternet.com

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2008 at 16:17 »
Hello again.

I shall get my other half to have a chat with Carro on Sunday..hopefully before (they sing together) about the Drum flies.

I remember Browns well..well..I remember the mess and the tobacco smoke more than anything! ;) I don't think it was Browns that she worked though...I am sure she said it was above what used to be Dicksons...but long before Dicksons was there. Unfortuantly i have no way of knowing! Something in the back of my mind says that it was not a tackle shop below...just the girls and rod builder upstairs, and something says the flies where sent to Farlows as well as other london shops..but its a long time since i last spoke to her about this...probably the best part of 20 years.. I think her maiden name was Gillespie..first name Mary.

I actually stay about 7 miles from Aboyne...so i had better get digging in my tackle room!

Another slight diversion..I used to build some of the Rods for Somers when Jim was alive..so i guess i am a tiny insignificant part of the history of aberdeen Tackle manufacturers... :z4 :z16

« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2008 at 22:24 »
A few more flies added today...

« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2008 at 14:43 »
More stuff added now - lots of early reels from JS Sharpe - and an interesting account of a fishing trip to Don and Dee in the late 1800s.

Rob - can you drop me a line, I missed you when I was up, I'd be interested if you found your flies from Sommers, and if so what the Dee Snow fly is like - does it have a peacock herl wing?

Cheers

Colin

www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: 30/10/2008 at 22:04 »
Colin - I like your site - isn't it incredible the kit folk made before all the modern materials arrived on the scene ?

In January 2007 I went to a fly tying demo held by members of the River Spey Anglers Association at Inchberry Hall near Mosstodloch and there was an elderly gent there called Leslie Pritchard who was tying some flies.  I reckon he was in his late 70's and he was churning out fantastic flies.  He had some fancy old fashioned type flies in wee display cases, collector item kind of things that he had tied up as special orders.  They were absolute works of art.   He said he worked tying flies at Browns in Belmont Street for umpteen years.  He would hopefully be able to help you out with old patterns and the history etc of Browns.  PM me if you want his address.

Cheers

Cammy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com