Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

re-waterproofing
« on: 05/10/2008 at 08:53 »
Having just found out my waterproof wading jacket is no longer waterproof can anyone recommend a compound to replace its lost performance? It's made from a breathable material - not sure what type since I made it many years ago from material from pennine outdoor.
Peter

Barry Robertson

Re: re-waterproofing
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2008 at 08:56 »
Hi peter,

This stuff should do the trick - i use it on my walking stuff and its good!

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Nikwax_Reproofing_for_Goretex_135.html

You can buy this in Arbroath in the outdoor shop opposite the tackle shop.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 05/10/2008 at 10:44 »
Was speaking to a chap yesterday who has just used nikwax to 're-proof' his gore-tex waders with good results, bit of a laborious process but worth it in the end  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2008 at 16:26 »
Right..whatever you do, dont just re-proof it...you need to prepare the material first or you can "kill it" for good or have a fabric that no longer breaths. Washing will prolong the life of the material and allow the re-proofing to penetrate properly.

First, Goretex etc needs to be washed before re-proofing but DONT use normal washing powder, this will delaminate or block up the membrane.

You need something like Nikwax Tech Wash. Stick your jaket in the washing mashine and add this stuff as recommended. One washed (you will be amazed at the colout of the water, even if your jacket looked clean before it went in :))

Next, you need a wash in re-proofer, and again, totally recommend Nikwax TX Direct wash in proofer.

Once done, let dry and that it for another year or two.

If you use a spray on re-proofer such a Nyloproof on a goretex jacket you can ruin it unfortuantly. Always make sure you use something designed for Goretex :)

Having said all that, some breathables become waterproof again with a quick iron with the iron set on warm.

lenap

« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2008 at 16:50 »
gore tex has a rewaterproffing two step process needed to revive the fabric. this is called " revivex " first step is the hi tech fabric cleaner wich cleans out the dirt and grime that helps wear out the sprayed on outer layer of protection. next step is a hand pump spray bottle that you cover your fabric with, after it dries ,you are good to go with like new fabric. nothing colder than worn out gore tex, having experienced that ,i now keep a regular check on my rain gear . the pair of revivex bottles is good for at least 3 refreshings of gore tex. i just read your request and having been there myself i thought i would pass on my good experience with gore tex " revivex " . keep dry . pete

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2008 at 16:56 »

Having said all that, some breathables become waterproof again with a quick iron with the iron set on warm.

Interesting, but would they still breathe?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2008 at 17:11 »
Interesting, but would they still breathe?

Sandy

Yep! Tends to be the jackets made with a "soft shell"..for an experts view on re-proofing a trip to Hilltrek in Aboyne will unleash a whole world of advice..and since the bloke actually makes breathable clothing and sells the best of the best, Paramo clothing, I trust him implicitly :)

lenap

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2008 at 17:12 »
sandy, yes the fabric is restored to like new specs, breathability is is asured because this is the genuine gore tex fabric retreatment. pete :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 05/10/2008 at 18:13 »
Thanks for all the info guys :grin - it's not Gore tex so I'll do the nixwax wash then reproof & see how it goes. i still have more of the material so if it all goes tits up I'll have to expend a bit more energy & make a new one.

Peter

p.s. before you ask I don't make my own dresses :wink, however...........................

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com