Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rob Brownfield

Anyone heard of Islander Reels of Canada?
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »
http://www.islander.com/

Been offered one for 180 secondhand, retail at 400+..looks lovely, large arbour, gold, rated for 9/10 lines.

Looking at the website they appear to be very well put together!!
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Jim Eddie

Re: Anyone heard of Islander Reels of Canada?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 19:27:35 PM »
Nope , never heard of them , look OK but I would not be spending 400 on one.

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Goolager

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 21:39:09 PM »
Rob,

I haven't heard of the reel but I have heard of Canada.
I thought I'd a load of fishing gear but it looks my armoury is weeny compared to some of you guys.

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 23:08:13 PM »
Rob,
       Well known big water SWFF reel in the States .  Built like a brick shithouse. Drag for runaway buffaloes .
Total bargain .  Go for it .

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 21:29:30 PM »
Paul says it all :z16

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »
Ohhhhhh..so tempted then :) Obviously I am wanting it for BIG pike but wondering if i can justify it!..lol

Thanks for the info!.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 16:05:40 PM »
More associated with meaningful saltwater fish the Islander reels (well, that's where I've heard of the before) are works of industrial strength, built like brick sh*t houses and almost impossible to destroy they're 'heirloom' reels...... gorgeous but I couldn't justify the new price, but 180 is tempting Rob - go buy it.... man toys :wink Mind you, that's nearly 200 out of your Helios budget  :grin :z7 :wink
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 16:46:46 PM »
Hamish,
Things might be moving on that front ;)

Its like everything in this world...I have a perfectly good reel which does more than i will ever ask of it (Mach IV)...but a shiney one comes along and begs to be bought!!

As it is..i have missed my chance of owning one!!!....so i dont have to beat myself up about it!..lol

Esox by Fly

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 14:11:58 PM »
Hi,

Ive got one, had it for 7 years now. I've had about 30 sailfish on it up to 200lbs and not a problem in sight. 180 is good value. Tight Lines.

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk