Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

saltwater patterns for the west coast???
« on: 31/07/2008 at 20:27 »
I am looking for some patterns that will work off the rocks on the west coast ??
could anyone give me any advise or names of patterns ??
any help would be great !

clark

Jim Eddie

Re: saltwater patterns for the west coast???
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2008 at 21:03 »
Clark

Baitfish / Sandeel type patterns , Clouser Minnow.

http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/erol.html#4633X0

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2008 at 21:20 »
Polar fibre minnows worked for sea trout for me and pollack for mates

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2008 at 08:49 »
I have just been tying up a heap of flies for salty exploits..been using EP fibres on Gamakatsu saltwater hooks. Basic sandeel patterns with a large eye and epoxy head. Simple to tie and very effective.

For Pollock look at patterns with a cheutreuse (sorry..cant spell) or bright pink back and white/light grey body. For Bass/Sea Trout, a blue back would appear best with black or dark green a close second.

Tie some with no sparkle for clear, shallow water, and others with sparkle for deeper or slightly dirty water.

Hope that helps a bit.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2008 at 01:26 »
hi

myself and friends have been fishing the west coast for a few years now and we have found that dark blue and white polar firber minnows with a tiny bit of silver works very well for sea trout and pollack.
they were about 4 to 5 inch long for the pollack and about 2 inch for the sea trout

for the pollack most colours work if u can get them down to the right depth i was using a di 8 line but looking for a faster sinker

hope you have good fun pollack fight like hell when you get a good one

stuart

clark

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2008 at 19:51 »
Hey boys just came back from west coast holiday with the family and boy oh boy did i do alot of fishing (most on the fly:z16) and i ihad some great sport. It was mostly pollock and coalies the biggest being around 4 pounds so there was nothing big but there was also the odd mackerel thrown in so it was great fun   The only flie that i used though was a polar fibre minnow tyed up in sandeel colours, they didnt like anything else i chucked at them so i was a bit stumped on that one but overall it was great fun with me catching in excess of 70 fish all on the fly   

clark

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2008 at 20:59 »
Clark , great stuff , well done  :cool:

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 10/08/2008 at 21:24 »
told you

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 10/08/2008 at 23:01 »
Yes, well done indeed Clark - another branch of fly-fishing that I'm sure would be a great thrill.

I'm taking the loon to the MacDuff Aquarium sea life thingy tomorrow so I'm off to tie up some sandeel imitations. :z4

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 11/08/2008 at 11:55 »
Yes, well done indeed Clark - another branch of fly-fishing that I'm sure would be a great thrill.

I'm taking the loon to the MacDuff Aquarium sea life thingy tomorrow so I'm off to tie up some sandeel imitations. :z4

Iain

Iain,
better off tying flies to look like lumps of mackeral if you are fishing in the main tank ;) Thats what the divers feed the fish on..heehee

I have often stood looking out to sea from the carpark and thought it an ideal place to cast a fly! :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 11/08/2008 at 17:32 »
Hi Rob,

I arrived early so spent 10 min's or so kicking around the carpark --100% yes! that was my thought exactly. Nice casting platforms (moderate size boulders), seems to deepen off quite quickly and there doesn't seem to be any visible snags, reasonable unobstructed backcasting, etc. - very nice indeed - would be very much like fishing on one of those concrete bowl type reservoirs, which has the advantage of being reasonably sheltered.

the type of area which I'd choose to cast a fly.

What would you recommend hardware wise for general sea fly-fishing....bearing in mind that I'm defo. going to try the Pike on the fly next season so any thoughts on a combo which would suit both?

8wt outfit ? which reel? any lines that could be cross utilised? (I'm thinking from the Airflo stable - much cheapness!) shooting head systems for all? sounds sensible.

Any thoughts greatly received.

Iain

by the way cdc Mackerel buzzers are useless I only raised a small Hali but it turned and swam off.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 11/08/2008 at 20:01 »
Iain

I got myself a Diawa Wilderness 9ft 9# which covers both SFFF and Pike options (alhough I havent got round to trying either yet , its also a 6 piece so can fit in the rucksack. Most people I have spoken to advise a fairly fast sinking line for the SWFF , a line tray is also advised as your line is not going to last to long on the rocks.

jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 11/08/2008 at 21:35 »
 Howdy Jim,

what reel are you using (planning to use)?

A 9' 9 wt rod...I guess Ill have to buy a tin of those steroids!! :z10

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 11/08/2008 at 21:44 »
Iain

I bought a cheap Salmon Reel Shakespear condex , got some cheap 9# lines on e-bay , Its not to bad to cast. Give me a shout if your in the Peterhead area and you could have a cast or next time there is a float tube day at Haddo.
Failing that , if you are in the Rubislaw area at lunchtime, mind you we would be a bit over gunned for the Denburn  :z4     

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 11/08/2008 at 21:56 »
Jim,
Never underestimate the Denburn!
Thanks for the offer of trying the set up, I'll see how things progress..........I'm off to have a look on e-bay.

I'll keep in touch.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com