Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alex Burnett

Re: Leaders
« Reply #15 on: 10/07/2008 at 23:38 »
Rob

Last lot I bought was 15 x 100 mtr spools from Fishtec sizes from 1 x 5lb 1 x 6lb, 1 x 7lb & 12 x 8lb. They had a deal on the 8lb, BOGOF.

Alex

Tam Greenock

« Reply #16 on: 11/07/2008 at 11:17 »
I tried Froghair (the frog wissnae very happy):z18Jim

LOL, ye had better not try the Frogs Fanny then  :z4

Alex Burnett

« Reply #17 on: 11/07/2008 at 18:55 »
Rob

If you are out at Haddo I have left a spool of Uncle Jacks for you with Mike today.

Alex

PS Managed to beat my PB today with an 18lber & guess what, it was on the dropper.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #18 on: 05/08/2008 at 18:08 »
Im using Fulling mill copoly 6lb and 7lb but my droppers (about 6in) keep twisting around the leader what would be the reason for this and how can i stop it?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 05/08/2008 at 21:36 »
Hi Dave

It can be hard to stop droppers twisting and this is often caused by the fly itself twisting in the current or on the retrieve. Possibly caused by an offset wing on the fly?

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #20 on: 06/08/2008 at 08:30 »
Or it could be that you have the same casting fault as myself. Unless I am concentrating on it, I move the tip of the rod in a narrow ellipse instead of  back and forwards in a straight line. This winds up your fly line like a clock spring and as it untwists it wraps the droppers around the leader. Get somebody to watch your casting stroke to see if you have my bad habit.

cheers

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #21 on: 06/08/2008 at 12:52 »
Or it could be that you have the same casting fault as myself. Unless I am concentrating on it, I move the tip of the rod in a narrow ellipse instead of  back and forwards in a straight line. This winds up your fly line like a clock spring and as it untwists it wraps the droppers around the leader. Get somebody to watch your casting stroke to see if you have my bad habit.

I me to Irvine , I have the same problem , mind you it does not seem to bother the fish unduly  :wink

Cheers

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #22 on: 06/08/2008 at 17:04 »
Hi Dave

It can be hard to stop droppers twisting and this is often caused by the fly itself twisting in the current or on the retrieve. Possibly caused by an offset wing on the fly?

Best wishes
Mike

Thats just what i was thinking it could be the fly spinning instead of just pulling straight, it happens with flies with no wings also so perhaps it could be a bit of what Irvin was saying about casting technique.

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #23 on: 06/08/2008 at 19:28 »
bulky flies like sedges & daddies will twist the line

Dave Mundie

« Reply #24 on: 10/08/2008 at 22:23 »
So far it seems to be stragle fritz cruncher that worst  :cry

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com