Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum
 

Today's Featured Forum Photo

Line for 764 glass

Started by Ben O'Neill, 31/03/2026 at 13:17

Ben O'Neill

Hi Mike, and maybe Sandy too.

I have a Taniwha 764 which was the first rod I built. I had a Cortland Springcreek WF4 on it that I think performed well... I say think because it was the only line I tried in it. However that is now on long term loan probably never to be seen again 🤣...

So I'm after a new line. I was toying with the idea of a DT having never tried one, but I built the rod for fishing mostly dries and light duo rigs on small water like the upper Teifi... I like fishing this with a 4" furlie + as much tippet as I can manage on the day but I have been known to soletimes put a wee poly leader on and drop a small streamer into little pools 😬 (best to be honest about these things)...

I was leaning towards the trout stream and about to email when I thought the question might help others if I asked it here.

Thanks... also thanks for the SLX which powerhouse of a line I am looking forward to playing with some more.


Sandy Nelson

Hi Ben

The Smallstream line was actually field tested a lot on the original Epic 476. The guy who designed that blank for Carl went on to form a new company and he is the man behind the Taniwha glass blanks too. They are very much like the original Epics.
Consequently the Smallstream line is superb on them. If you fish a bigger river then go for a Troutstream as it does a similar job for slightly longer ranges. But there's not many lines better than a Smallstream on a glass rod.
 :z16

Ben O'Neill


Mike Barrio

Thanks Sandy  :z16

Looks like nice water Ben  :)

James Laraway

I have the same taniwha rod and fish the small stream line on it.....

Ben O'Neill

It has been out once and was great. I prefer it to the Cortland Spring Creek that came off it + the paler colour is still discrete whilst being easier to track if you're managing your cast in tight quarters....

Good luck with the move Mr B. Fantastic line & service as usual...


Mike Barrio

Thanks Ben, I'm really pleased that you are enjoying your line!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com