Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Epoxy Buzzers!
« on: 18/04/2008 at 23:56 »

Just bought some expoxy today for coating buzzers, does anyone know the best way to apply it to the buzzers?

Any advice would be great thanks!

Iain Goolager

Re: Epoxy Buzzers!
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2008 at 10:12 »
Hello Largetrout,

I don't really use epoxy buzzers as I prefer mine to sink quite slowly & hardly ever fish anywhere where the need for them to drop too quickly is required, but I did tie some a few years back just to say I'd tried it.
I found (using the two pack epoxy) that I had to tie say a dozen buzzers at a time, mix up the epoxy, apply it (I just used a dubbing needle to smear it on) and then find some form of holding each fly while being able to rotate it as it dried.
The ideal method would be to use a rotary fly drier (the circle of foam connected to the shaft of a tiny electric motor) which allows the epoxy to dry uniformly around the outside of the buzzer. I however had mine sitting on dubbing needles and was doing my best to 'keep the plates spinning on the sticks' - not very professional.

I found that however 'rubbishy' you apply the epoxy it will even itself out during the rotating/drying period.

Hope this is of some value.

Iain

Jim Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2008 at 16:09 »
Forget about "poxy" it just makes a mess. Go instead for some thing like sally hanson hard as nails. build it up in coats letting it dry between coats. a far better finish.  you will need between 4 and fie coats to get the buzzer to come alive.  jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2008 at 21:26 »
I have been using sally hansen up till now but just wanted to try something new , but it seams unless you have a drier for putting your flies on epoxy is a nightmare!

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2008 at 23:08 »
Look for lureflash head-building cement. I use that and cover it with hard as nails, works for me and much easier than epoxy  :z17

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 21/04/2008 at 08:22 »
Baz

An epoxy drier is handy for drying most flies, it'll also allow you to experiment with other types of flies using epoxy.You can use it for building/fixing rods too :z16 A handy device to have and not that expensive.
Must confess though i only ever use 1 coat of normal varnish on buzzers, if i want weight i tie them with ultra wire and coat with varnish, then again I'm lazy but i have no probs with flies getting wrecked and they still seem to catch the odd fish :z16

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 08/05/2008 at 05:30 »
Ok then thats the expoxy in the back of the cupboard! Seamed like more hassle than it was worth!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com