Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Classic & Modern Fly Fishing
« on: 20/03/2024 at 18:19 »
So you fish with classic spiders, wet fly fishing, how do you do that?

Johan Klingberg meets Paul Procter and Malcolm Greenhalgh - a nice easy going video with some good practical pointers.

Andrew Boswell

Re: Classic & Modern Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2024 at 19:15 »
Interesting how back in the day Paul Proctor is wearing a Helios cap and Orvis waders.

Presumably he went from there to working for Scott Mackenzie, then on to Hardy more recently?

He was very keen on promoting the Mackenzie NX series of rods a few years back - presumably he helped develop them.

If they were so good, I wonder why he jumped ship to Hardy…  :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2024 at 21:09 »
Interesting how back in the day Paul Proctor is wearing a Helios cap and Orvis waders.

Presumably he went from there to working for Scott Mackenzie, then on to Hardy more recently?
Correct  :z16

He was very keen on promoting the Mackenzie NX series of rods a few years back - presumably he helped develop them.
Paul was part of the design team for the rods and lines.

If they were so good, I wonder why he jumped ship to Hardy…  :X2
Paul would likely acknowledge that he was made an offer to go to Hardy, and did - much as he did from Orvis to Mackenzie. It's not that uncommon for 'names' in the angling world to mix it with different brands over the years - ask Charles Jardine  *smiley-wink*

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2024 at 07:28 »
Thanks for clarifying.

I just find it interesting that one week the “sponsored athletes” of the fishing world (not necessarily Paul Proctor) are telling us via their social media streams that we need to shell out £500+ on manufacturer X’s rod to catch the big fish, but the next week it’s all about the graphene content or recovery rate of manufacturer Z’s rod.

I suppose my observation is that no one is immune from the temptation of a better contract; but what does this say to the teenager who has just smashed his piggy bank to afford a new NX1, but then in the next issue of T&S he gets the impression he should have bought a Hardy Ultralite?!

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2024 at 08:30 »
..... but what does this say to the teenager who has just smashed his piggy bank to afford a new NX1, but then in the next issue of T&S he gets the impression he should have bought a Hardy Ultralite?!
Well.... it says to the teenager that they should form their own impressions about what equipment they want to use and want to buy (preferably with their own money that they've earnt, rather than their parents). That they should read FF&FT if only to read Magnus's excellent and honest/unbiased fishing tackle reviews.  That time spent on the water is better than time buying online or in the tackle shop, and that this is their first and possibly slightly bitter experience of capitalism. Oh - and finally - that at least they didn't end up buying football strips because their favourite club swapped sponsors - they still have a belting rod  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com