Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Crosson

Introduction
« on: 19/01/2024 at 16:01 »
Hello everyone
Not sure if im posting in proper section, wasnt able to find “intro ‘….my name is David and im from the “Catskills in upstate new york. Being a member in the “uk “ forum i have made some great friends .Love tying flies,its almost an obsession lol, my interest is “North country Flies and all the history that comes with it , i enjoy learning the older dressings and i love tying “Spiders, its all i fish in my waters, i find theres a spider for every hatch and all seasons …the biggest challenge is sourcing proper feathers to match the timeframe when they were originated ,as well as here in the states many feathers are just hard to get ….As far as Scotland goes.   My grandfather is from scotland ,came here and here i am ,wish i was there ..
Politics arent my discussion and i avoid them , i enjoy a good Dram while i tie, and i enjoy fishing for trout.  When it comes to gear im not overly obsessed with it , whereas im always buying tying materials,lol.   Anyway enough about me i look forward to getting to know everyone,learn about tying flies from your waters.
Cheers, David

Mike Barrio

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:12 »
Hi David - Welcome to the forum  :z16

If you enjoy a wee dram and tying/fishing spiders for trout ....... you will hopefully feel right at home!

Cheers
Mike

David Crosson

« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:38 »
 :) Sounds like my kind of place

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:52 »
Hi David

You sound like one of us already.
Although I’m also a bit of a tackle tart , but only stuff we can make. :z16

Spiders are my thing and I’m really looking forward to seeing some of your interpretations.

I’d love to visit the Catskills, from watching many many videos it’s not unlike here, both in Terms of rivers and scenery.

Hope you enjoy being part of our wee community
 :z18

Sandy

David Crosson

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2024 at 17:10 »
Thank you Sandy. 
I grew up on the rivers of the catskills that are in the bookslol, cut my teeth on the Beaverkill and at 14 was learning how to cast a fly, tying spiders is my passion , im not perfect but i love them, the vintage styles and history is what pulls me in, for me one challenge is finding specific appropriate subs for some feathers, i read a lot and also dye a lot of my materials
Cheers, David

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2024 at 17:29 »
There's some fantastic history around these flies, Robert Smith ( @thedalesangler ) has a great wee channel on Youtube and wrote the best book on north country flies.
He delves into the history a lot and I really enjoy a lot of what he does, if you haven't looked at any of his stuff then I think you will really enjoy it.

I'm a Scotsman by birth (moved back up here when I was 11)  but grew up in the North of England , my grandad taught me to fly fish and it was almost entirely spiders. I love them, but do tend toward dryfly mostly these days, however as a Heretic I mix the traditional spiders with CDC to make a lot of my dries, which work equally well in and under the surface.
The history really appeals to me as it provides a link to my Grandad and the world he knew. I have many books from the original progenitors of these techniques, but Roberts is the best one by far.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com