Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Boswell

Favourite rod of all time
« on: 09/08/2023 at 15:15 »
Hi folks

In an attempt to try and keep the forum going, let’s recreate a thread from the past. It’ll be interesting to see how tastes have changed (or not) over the intervening 15 years…

So the question is:-

“What is your favourite rod of all time?”

To make life a little easier, let’s have a #5 or heavier, and a #4 or lighter option.

My choices would be:

#5 - Winston Boron B2X (made by Sandy)

#4 - Epic Packlight 476 Glass (made by Sandy)

Sandy Nelson

Re: Favourite rod of all time
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/2023 at 15:40 »
“What is your favourite rod of all time?”

My 3pc 7’ 6” 5wt medium cut Marc Aroner Hunt .  *smiley-love*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2023 at 16:41 »
Favourite #5 - the 4 pce LC905, built in 2010 and still my 'go to' rod today.

My other favourite is a #3 - the 3 pce LC903, also from 2010   >) 

Graham Nicol

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2023 at 07:47 »
As ever have several.
I had a Scott G2 that was sublime and stupidly sold it regretting it ever since.
I also had several Sage SLT models that were a pleasure to fish with.
However, I now have a few Winston BIIt which I will never part with. Their action suits my casting style beautifully and I just adore the Winston green  colour of the blanks with the various wooden reel seats that come along with them. Most of mine are elder.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 10/08/2023 at 10:11 »
My 3pc 7’ 6” 5wt medium cut Marc Aroner Hunt .  *smiley-love*
Marc Aroner ...... is that the Boo Sandy?

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2023 at 10:42 »
Sage XP 9ft 5# - still my go to stillwater dry fly rod after 20+ years

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2023 at 11:05 »
Marc Aroner ...... is that the Boo Sandy?

Indeed it is ‘THE’ Boo.
By far my favourite rod to fish with, even if it’s not the one I use most  *smiley-wink*

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 10/08/2023 at 13:27 »
Orvis Helios 2. Ten foot four weight used for nymphs, dries on the river and most often as a loch style rod from the boat. One rod to rule them all. I have quite a collection of rods but this one is always in the car when I travel.

Mark Hanlon

« Reply #8 on: 10/08/2023 at 19:41 »
My favorite rod of all time is a Sage LL389 that I built myself back in 1990. It was never pretty but fishes like a dream. A nice traditional action and a lot of power for a 3wt.

Whoops, I missed the 4 and 5 wt suggestion. I’ll say the Sage is a 3.5 wt.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 10/08/2023 at 21:29 »
Favourite 3# is a LC903 of Mike b's

Favourite 5# is the barrio loch style 👍

All my other "go to" single handers are paul ardens sexyloop range. I have them in 9' 4#, 6#, 8# and 10# 👍

Cheers

Steven.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #10 on: 11/08/2023 at 09:12 »
Hello,

My favourite go to rod these days is the Greys GR80 Streamflex Plus 10ft 3wt...........for dries, spiders and nymphs it does it all with delight!   

Then for special occasions I love my Ijuin Beni hard para 7'6" 4wt glass rod, :-)

Steven

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 11/08/2023 at 19:23 »
Favourite 3# is a LC903 of Mike b's

Favourite 5# is the barrio loch style 👍

All my other "go to" single handers are paul ardens sexyloop range. I have them in 9' 4#, 6#, 8# and 10# 👍

Cheers

Steven.
I should admit that I too have the Paul Arden set above and the LC 03 😂

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2023 at 08:32 »
A rod that I would never part with is a 2pc 8'6" #5 cane rod built for me in 1980 by Bill Tagg of Stafford. It has two tops - one for across and down and the other for the dry. Sounds old fashioned but as well as all the memories, I feel in symbiosis with this lovely rod built from raw materials by a master craftsman.
For a 3 weight my favourite rod is the 15' wafter built on a CTS blank. So easy and satisfying to use.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2023 at 12:47 »
Looks like we have about 800 members that haven't found a rod that they would call their favourite  :z8

That's gotta be good news for rod retailers  *smiley-lol*

Fred Hay

« Reply #14 on: 14/08/2023 at 06:37 »
I had to re read the original post - all you guys with light weight rods, which I have never possessed until last couple of years but my favourite has be a 10ft 6in Sue Burgess Diamondback rod  rated 7 to 10 which I've had since the late 1970's/early 1980's.    Obviously it's a beast compared with modern rods and I can just see the 'purists' amongst you shaking with disbelief that someone would fish for trout with such a heavy rated rod but to be fair has quite a soft through action and designed more for double taper lines.  I usually fished it with a either a 7# or 8# DT line and I've taken countless trout, sea trout and salmon (up to 15lbs) on it - unfortunately consigned to the rack in the garage as I've been dabbling with faster action light weight rods and weight forward or shooting head type lines to try and keep up with modern trends but in reality none of the new rods are a patch on it.
I took it out earlier in the year to go rainbow bashing and a 'renowned' angler had a go with it but could make nothing of the soft action as he was too used to fast action rods and trying to get max distance rather than letting the rod work but that's another story.
But ...... you've got to look the part and keep up with  forward thinking/methods and keep the manufacturers happy !!!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com