Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

'Willie Gunn' style Rhea intruder
« on: 24/04/2019 at 09:15 »
So, a few months ago I splashed out on  a Petitjean magic tool set and dubbing twister.

I had been put off by the price but my goodness. The dubbing spinner is AWESOME - it works amazingly . FAR better than any of the other rubbish on the market

So I was feeling brave last night and had my 1st go at spinning rhea in a dubbing loop - and here is the result.

As with everything else I have a lot of stuff I bought ages ago but never used - Coloured shanks, rhea etc so thought it was time to make use of it.

Rather than supporting the rhea with a dubbing ball I opted to reverse tying some yellow bucktail in behind it so that the rhea does not collapse in the flow.

The shank is a 25mm Seyno shank, with beadalon wire ( Hobbycraft)  and size 4 'octopus' hook ( bought a job lot from tackle bargains before they closed)

Euan Innes

Re: 'Willie Gunn' style Rhea intruder
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2019 at 11:16 »
Very, very nice James  :z16 :z16 :z16

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2019 at 11:21 »
Bonny looking flea  :z16

I must admit that I've never used the tools but you are right about the prices...

Is the magic tool set really worth the price over the paper clips that I steal from work for free?

:z18

Steven.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2019 at 11:42 »
The magic toolset, whist a great idea is about x5 overpriced.

I too used to use bulldog clips - the magic tool ones are much easier to use but as AWAAAAY too expensive ( they are just plastic and a steel spring after all !)

the dubbing spinner however is a different matter. Well thought out engineering that works  brilliantly.

Bonny looking flea  :z16

I must admit that I've never used the tools but you are right about the prices...

Is the magic tool set really worth the price over the paper clips that I steal from work for free?

:z18

Steven.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 30/04/2019 at 14:58 »
and back to the original but with 'hotspot' tungsten dumbbell eyes

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com