Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Ice Updates
« on: 19/12/2007 at 23:24 »
Hi folks :cool:

How are the fisheries placed for ice? Has anybody been fishing today?

Haddo is still closed due to being frozen over I'm afraid and with tonight's temperature, I think it will certainly be as bad if not worse tomorrow :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Re: Ice Updates
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2007 at 23:54 »
Hi
had a good inch of ice at pitfour this morning getting thicker as the day went on, very much doubt it will be fishable tommorrow

andrew

« Reply #2 on: 20/12/2007 at 09:18 »
Still frozen over at pitfour this morning (thursday) :z10 so will remain closed today

Andrew

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 20/12/2007 at 10:44 »
Never mind the fisheries - couldn't get into my car for bloody ages the other day, looked more like an ice cube than a car :shock
When I finally did get in the outside temperature was -12  :shock
At least it's a gnats bollocks warmer today, only -3  :grin

Dutchfly

« Reply #4 on: 20/12/2007 at 14:28 »
Great weather, ain't it? Over here in Holland people everywhere are putting on their speedskates and are out on the waters. Yesterday saw the first skatingmarathon of the year, 150 laps of 400m. The whole country is psyched! Every winter we' re hoping that in Friesland (north east of Holland) the tour of 11 cities can be held, a tour of 200 km. The winner is destined to become a national hero.

What's that got to do with fishing? Very little. Did you guys know on the other hand that the first speedskating club in Europe was started in Edinburgh? Just wanted to share that information with y'all  :z18.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Regards,

Jeroen

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 20/12/2007 at 14:54 »
Hi Jeroen :z16

I'd heard about the speedskating thing in Holland. Anything that has to do with getting folk out in to the open air has to be good :wink

It is great to hear what is going on in other places ........ Thanks!

You didn't say whether you have a go yourself?

Hope you have a grand Christmas
Best wishes
Mike

Dutchfly

« Reply #6 on: 20/12/2007 at 20:15 »
Down with the flue, I'm afraid Mike :cry :cry :cry.

I love speedskating! Hopefully this cold weather continues so I can take my son out for his first experience on the real thing. He'll turn 5 on Christmasday and he has skated before, but on a skatingring indoors. As you say, there's nothing like going out into the open air so that'll make a nice extra present :z4

CU

Jeroen

« Reply #7 on: 20/12/2007 at 21:59 »
hi,
ice thawed a bit this morning with a good later of waer ontop of the ice'
it all stared to refreze early afternoon so looks like we could well stay closed

try phoning befor setting out
andrew 07849113435

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 21/12/2007 at 12:32 »

Well, I've been over at the loch again this morning and I can't see there being any change over the next few days .......... Brrrrr, it's a bit cold over there :shock

I had planned to close from the 24th to the 26th and open again on the 27th. I can see that the ice is not going to clear this weekend so Haddo Trout Fishery will remain closed and depending on the weather next week of course, I will hopefully ( fingers crossed ) be able to think about opening again on the 27th :z3

I hope you all have a great Christmas :z16
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 26/12/2007 at 14:18 »

The ice is still about 2 inches thick this morning .......... so it will need a couple of mild days and nights before I can think about breaking it.

Will keep putting the latest updates on here :wink
Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 27/12/2007 at 15:41 »

There is still a lot of ice at Haddo today, there are a couple of small open bits in the middle, but the area around the boats is about an inch and a half thick and it takes my weight :z7

If it stays mild again tonight I will probably have a go at breaking it tomorrow morning.

Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #11 on: 27/12/2007 at 17:24 »
Hi still a good deal of ice on the loch today a bit has thawed on the north bank enough for a short drift but can not get a boat over to it yet, if it thaws more over night i will try and make a channel over to the clear bit. however the water ontop of the ice was starting to refreeze at 3ish and was frozen by 4.30 will be at the fishery about 8.30 in the morning if you want to call and see if its fishable

andrew 07849113435

« Reply #12 on: 29/12/2007 at 17:51 »
Hi there is now about 1/3 of the loch thawed out not and we can reopen tomorrow provided that it stays mild and does not refreeze any (gritters are out tonight)

Andrew 07849113435

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 30/12/2007 at 13:08 »

Well, the loch was frozen again yesterday morning, but the area in front of the hut was reasonably thin and I managed to break up a fair area for Jim and Brian to have a few casts in :wink

There was a wee bit of wind to help us yesterday and we ended up with about a quarter of the loch being fishable. "Jedi" Jim had a great time tempting 15 fish up to approx 12 lb and Brian also had some fun with 5 fish up to approx 4 lb.

I expected to be able to open this morning (Sunday) with about half the loch fishable ......... but road conditions on the way soon had me questioning this in my mind ( Today's was the worst black ice conditions that I can remember driving on! ) and on reaching Haddo ......... you guessed it, the loch was fully frozen again and I didn't open the fishery :z6

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 01/01/2008 at 00:18 »
hi,
was open yesterday and had two boats out but was freezing over in the afternoon and unfishable this morning but thawed out a good bit again this afternoon so should be fishable in the morning

best phone to check tho

andrew 07849113435

happy new year folks

Mike Barrio

« Reply #15 on: 02/01/2008 at 12:19 »

Haddo has thawed out nicely and there is just a wee bit of ice round the margins this morning ........ and the odd fish rising :wink

Inverurie AA have booked the loch for Sunday, but I have no other bookings until then ........ so give me a phone on the usual 07810 868897 or send me a PM/email etc if you fancy a session.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 03/01/2008 at 16:37 »
Just a quick note to say my dad was going to open Haddo today, but he is in his bed ill.

Haddo could be closed for a few days?

Shaun Barrio

Rod Mackay

« Reply #17 on: 03/01/2008 at 17:08 »
Sorry to hear that Shaun,  Tell your dad to get well soon.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 03/01/2008 at 19:02 »
Get well soon Mike :z16

Seems to be pretty common at the moment :z6

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #19 on: 03/01/2008 at 19:42 »
Aye get well soon Mike

:z18

Jim

Alex Burnett

« Reply #20 on: 03/01/2008 at 21:32 »
Hi Mike

Guess you've got the Norovirus, it's rife out here with us as well.
Hope your feeling better soon, been lasting 24-48 hours with the
lads out here.

Alex :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 06/01/2008 at 12:29 »
Have spoken to Mike.

Its not Norovirus, he has a slight problem due to over using his brain cell.
It has had unforseen consequences :shock

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1147.jpg

Apparently this is recent footage :z4 :z4 :z4

Get well soon mate :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 06/01/2008 at 14:21 »
You've got me out of my bed now Sandy :oops

Iona says the image is actually quite a good likeness :z4 :z4 :z4

Yes, not the "norovirus thing?" .......... sort of a heavy flu virus that has made my face swell up like I've just gone a few rounds in a heavyweight boxing ring :z7

I've felt better :z6 but I still have a sense of humour and I'm bound to feel better soon ........ perhaps a visit to the doc might be an idea tomorrow :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 06/01/2008 at 14:36 »
Good :z4

Now go back to the doctors :z16

http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/monsterkid5/5_images/sofrnk28.jpg

You might need 3d specs though :shock

:z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com