Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

roll yer own
« on: 01/08/2013 at 18:48 »
folks

looking around for a replacement bladder for Red Oktober mkI (the U-bladder failed), I came across this forum post where a bloke has built his own super-light back packing tube. mental!!

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project

Jim Eddie

Re: roll yer own
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2013 at 19:03 »
Iain

These peoplehave replacements for the  new Snowbee model

http://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/acatalog/float_tube.html

:z18

Jim

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2013 at 20:55 »
Jim,
any idea where I can get the carrying straps for a Shakey explorer? The mice have destroyed mine.

Eddie :mad

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2013 at 21:53 »
Jim,
any idea where I can get the carrying straps for a Shakey explorer? The mice have destroyed mine.

Eddie :mad

Eddie

I'm struggling with that one they stopped making them a good few years ago.

:z18

Jim

Kevin Muir

« Reply #5 on: 01/08/2013 at 22:50 »
Hi Iain

The DIY tube was just amazing, the guy had a fantastic attention to detail and the final product looked great.

Thanks for posting the link.

It should be possible to repair the leak on your Snowbee bladder with Aquasure if it is a pinhole or even a small tear.  A leaking seam can also be repaired with Aquasure.

Can you post a photo of the damage to the bladder?

Eddie, I heard that the family of Steve Parton are going to open up the shop again, not sure when but would be worth giving the shop a ring and leaving a message for replacement straps.

Sparton would also be an option for replacement bladders for your Snowbee tube Iain but at about £100.00 for the three main bladders for a Shakey / Sparton tube it may too expensive compared to a new tube.

I have seen the original Snowbee bladders pop up on ebay occasionally.  Have you tried Snowbee to see if they have any old stock lying about?

On the BFTA site there are a few posts in the General section on bladder repairs and also UK made replacement bladders.

http://www.bfta.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=635.0

Apart from Sparton, there are also posts about a company called Gemini that can make repalcement bladders, not cheap but possibly worth a call.

Gemini Marine Industries Ltd.
(Replacement Bladders)
RENA House
Wharf Street
Sutton Bridge
Lincolnshire
PE12 9UF

Tel: 01406 350 572

Good luck with the replacement bladder Iain and repalcent straps eddie.

Kev.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2013 at 23:08 »
hi Kevin

wow, thanks for the super detailed response. It's not actually my tube (my own Caddis 2 is safe & well) but a mate's which is dry docked in my shed. The bladder is with someone for repair, but they've not reported much success, hence the hunt (for Red Oktober, ha!)

I'll get the bladder back soon, and see if I can patch it  - but as it's the U-shape, if it goes, it's quite a sink risk, so I thought I'd hunt around. It's kinda sentimental to get the tube floating again, so don't want to bin it just yet, but been really hard to source a replacement from the UK.

Sub 50£ - worth a punt. More than that, probably worth seeking a new one entirely!

Spoke to Snowbee today - they had a look, but nothing in their warehouses.

The link via BFTA was useful - pointed me at some Tear-aid stuff... that sounds promising.

Let's face it, if some dude can build his own, I'm sure I can arrange a repair of a slow leak.... famous. last. words....

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 02/08/2013 at 08:23 »
Iain,
Here is a link showing you how to repair holes in a PVC boat. Should be the same for a tube I would have thought (unless its a seam).

and

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 02/08/2013 at 08:50 »
Jim,
many thanks. New straps ordered.

Eddie. :z18 :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 02/08/2013 at 09:37 »
Interesting thread and useful stuff from Kev there..... but this bit
I have seen the original Snowbee bladders pop up on ebay occasionally.
did make me smirk...... tube popping...... :X1

There is a chap in my part of the world who is (apparently) able to make new bladders from a pattern. Will see what if he can be found easily, but I suspect it would be cheaper to just buy a new tube than replace a bladder  :cry

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 02/08/2013 at 12:30 »
Here is a totally off the wall idea.

If you are not too bothered about "deflating" the tube, why not get a couple of bits of expanded polystyrene and shape/curve a new bladder?

It will never pop again..and its the stuff they use to add "unsinkability" to small boats.

Actually, I wonder how the bean bag filler stuff would work?

In fact, take the old bladder, fill it with the wee balls for a bean bag and then seal best you can to stop them escaping. It would not need to be airtight.

Just a thought.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 02/08/2013 at 14:08 »
hi Rob,

bonkers ideas, but might work... the bean bag balls would be well squishy, and probably need compression sacks to keep shape. the solid foam idea is interesting -  probably need 3 pieces. otherwise fitting would be a challenge.

could be an interesting alternative if the bladder is wrecked

cheers
i

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 02/08/2013 at 14:14 »
Steve Parton was experimenting with bean bag balls and thought them quite a good idea :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 02/08/2013 at 14:19 »
Steve Parton was experimenting with bean bag balls and thought them quite a good idea :wink

Cheers
Mike

I retract my previous comment! If "Sparton" thought they were good, then it is a bonkers idea ;)

Iain,
bean bag balls would only be squishy if the void was not fully packed. No idea how you would "pack them in tight", but I am sure there is something out there that could do it?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 02/08/2013 at 14:20 »
Come to think of it, if you got a leak you would know straight away as you would be surrounded by hatching "suspender buzzers" :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #15 on: 02/08/2013 at 14:26 »
Come to think of it, if you got a leak you would know straight away as you would be surrounded by hatching "suspender buzzers" :)

:z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 06/08/2013 at 09:17 »
Saw this on facebook, thought you might like it ................ :z12

Iain Cameron

« Reply #17 on: 06/08/2013 at 10:14 »
Saw this on facebook, thought you might like it ................ :z12

Orange is so last season Mike... :-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 06/08/2013 at 14:11 »
Don't suppose you have a sash to match do you Mike?  :z7

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com