Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #150 on: 27/02/2013 at 14:29 »
Thanks for the Olive #4 SLX received this morning fast as heck as usual Mike ! Colour looks great, can't wait to cover a troot with it.....soon now !  :z16

Lindsay

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #151 on: 13/03/2013 at 16:58 »
Line arrived as Promised.
It is good to come across a Fair ,Honest trader who delivers a product that does what it says on the tin :z18.

Anything I can do in the future, just call.

Very Best Regards

Brian McGlashan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #152 on: 13/03/2013 at 17:11 »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for letting me know that the line arrived safely, I hope you spend many enjoyable hours on the water with it :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #153 on: 14/03/2013 at 21:15 »
Full day Tuition Today and I used the 5# SLX exclusively. Two rods with different actions Sage One 9ft and loop aeg 9ft
I am mentoring a guy for the gaic assessment and the line excelled at all tasks. Ok the distance cast posed a bit of a problem but with less of a carry and more of a shoot it worked. I think the 6# would have made it easier for him,but we don't want that :z4
I use the Loop opti(old model) and Greys platinum for usual

With the head length + rod + leader it worked out perfect as most of the casts are in the 40 to 50ft range.
I used a Super Yamame Flat Butt Leader 4x cut to just a tad over 9ft, so nothing special there.

It really was the line for the job and was very stable in the air, speys were a joy plus it was easy to see.
A while ago I decided if I was trying lines , rods,reels,waders or anything tackle wise, I would always tell the truth good or bad.

Tomorrow I fish with it :z16 and Sunday a full day Teaching.

Many Thanks Mike, the Guy should be contacting you soon.

Regards

Brian

Mike Barrio

« Reply #154 on: 14/03/2013 at 21:47 »
Thanks for the great feedback Brian :z16

Hope you have an enjoyable day on the water tomorrow :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #155 on: 15/03/2013 at 10:27 »
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what your syllabus requires but I'd say the #6 would be a safer bet than the #5 for an exam.

If I was ever to resit the AAPGAI masters test I would use the SLX #6 on my 906 TF Helios 1, when I sat I used that rod with a Wulff nymph taper.  The casts on the masters test were always in my mind when we were testing the prototypes.  I think Bernd Ziesche used the SLX #7 when he passed his AAPGAI Masters last autumn and I think most of the successful candidates at last years SGAIC exams also used the SLX.

Your findings on the distances are interesting, seems like you've got the line worked out mate.  When fishing I am rarely presenting a fly at more than 50 - 60' and when I do need to hit the upper end of that range, it is rare that I have space to carry line to get there so something that allows a good shoot from a fairly short carry is a bonus, also, reducing required number of false casts has to be a good thing.  The line was never really intended to be used at more than 85' from feet to fly, it will do 100'+ but if that was my requirement I would use a GT125.  For fairly close stuff I like something that gives me some feel and will always straighten the leader, I usually fish fairly long leaders and where I fish it is usually bloody windy.  Despite what the profile picture of the line my imply (totally rear end biased), the compound tapering and weight distribution in the head allows good feel at short range without compromising roll & Spey casting ability.  It is definitely more stable on any cast than the Opti and smoother than the TT Nymph in the air.  I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it when you fish it today.

I use the SLX for distance practice tune ups, it will carry long but you have to be very, very smooth and everything has to be right, stroke length, haul timing etc so it is good for honing that stuff.

Since the first prototype arrived I have been using the SLX for teaching, makes life very easy.  Rolls well and gives good feel on overheads with a short length out of the tip.  For me, getting the "feel" of a good cast is important, the SLX helps with this and the colour change is really useful for making casts repeatable and consistent.  I used to use a short heavy shooting head for teaching hauls but the SLX does this fine so it means one less spool to carry around.

Your honesty is appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #156 on: 15/03/2013 at 15:17 »
Hi Ben, Fished the river Leven(Fife) Fish  :z8 Me :grin.
The line fished great,downstream wind, although not strong it posed no problem. I had Nymphs and dries on.
One of the guys I was with is a bit of a Line tart so I told him It was a prototype for a big company,once he was converted I told him the truth. The other Guy was already going to buy one. Lovely line and I have no problems recommending it.

The Assessment is the Gaic and as I said in my post he would have been better with the 6# infact I have done all my Assessments using a 6# set up. But I can only advise people and If they don't take that advice and stick to a 5#, well you know the rest.

When I teach I like to have a 5# and a 6# but I have 2 6# Loop opti's to get through.

Best Regards.

Brian

Loxiafan

« Reply #157 on: 15/03/2013 at 15:48 »
Fished the river Leven(Fife) Fish  :z8 Me :grin.

What bit of the Fife Leven do you fish Brian ? I grew up in Glenrothes and learned to fly fish on the Leven around the town, Cabbagehall, Leslie and up as far as Auchmuir Bridge, occasionally the cut  :z16  This was in the 70's and 80's mind ! Is it worth a cast these days ?

I'm a fan of the SLX too (to keep on topic) but my casting is no up to you guys level and finesse  :oops

Lindsay

The Bankie

« Reply #158 on: 17/03/2013 at 16:48 »
Hi there , new to the form but though i would say something about the SLX line . Had a lesson with Ben Dixon today and found the line very easy to cast even with the wind blowing hard and raining at the same time was using Hydros rod with 4weight line , now all i have to do is hook a nice fish with it . Good times ahead and plenty of tight lines hopefully .

Mike Barrio

« Reply #159 on: 17/03/2013 at 16:52 »
Hi Robert
Welcome to the forum :z16

Not much of a day for being out there, but good to see that you enjoyed your lesson and liked the SLX :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #160 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:31 »
I have a Redington CPS 8'6" 4wt that's in need of a line and I think the SLX will fit the bill nicely.  My question is:
If you could only get one line for this rod, would you get the #4 as per the rod recommendation, or would you underline it with a #3?
Thanks,
Ciaran.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #161 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:40 »
Hi Ciaran,
Welcome to the forum :z16

A #4 for a #4 :wink

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #162 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:55 »
Thanks Mike,

Good to be here.  And thanks for the recommendation.

Now if I could just be so cheeky as to hijack my own thread....
I have a Sportfish 10' 6/7 wt IM6 Harrison blank that I like to use on the calmer evenings on the lake.  The softer action suits my lazy style of casting, what can I say.  Would you think a 6 or a 7 SLX would be the choice here, or is this more a rod for the GT125?  Mostly medium range fishing to rising fish, but the usual bit of random water searching when the conditions demand it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #163 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:05 »
My personal choice for that would probably be a GT125 #6 ...... but let's see what the forum members suggest? :wink

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #164 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:06 »
Excellent.  I'll hold off ordering till the jury is in.  No point wasting two stamps  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #165 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:33 »
I'd have said the SLX or the GT90 myself, both would suit a relaxed style and softer rod IMHO.
Of the two I'd have the SLX first as I think it's unsurpassed as a fishing line.

As to 6 or a 7wt line then I would probably opt for the 7 myself but - horses for courses - much depends on what you're fishing for and with what tactics etc etc.
What line(s) are you using on that rod at the minute :?

H :cool:

cmac

« Reply #166 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:42 »
I've used a #7 GT90, an old #6 Hardy DT and an ancient #7 Cortland 444.
Probably favoured the Hardy, but I am only one season back fishing after a 20 year hiatus so wouldn't rate my casting skills very highly just yet :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #167 on: 20/03/2013 at 23:07 »
Hi Ciaran,

What is your definition of "medium range" in feet from your position to the fly, what length of leader do you typically fish and what is the greatest amount of line you would want to lift from the water into a back cast without stripping in?  Also, do you double haul?

On the Redington I'd use a #4 SLX

Cheers

Ben

cmac

« Reply #168 on: 20/03/2013 at 23:32 »
Hi Ben,

A #4 SLX for the Redington it is!
Regarding the Harrison rod I'd normally have something like a 12ft leader (tapered copolymer + tippet) to a single fly.  "Medium range" for me is probably somewhere between 40 and 60 ft.
Having learned to cast with double taper lines and always fishing from boats on Loughs, I grew up expecting to lift whatever length the bamboo rod du jour could handle (always a #6 DT regardless of the rod!!) and reposition in front of the latest rising trout.  Now that I do more bank fishing on relatively small stillwaters I have learned the error of my ways and often find myself cursing the lack of back casting distance available, so do tend to strip in more line than I may have done in the past.
Similarly my "double haul" is a work in progress (I was fly fishing for many years before I actually saw anyone double hauling.  I'm pretty sure that the generation who taught me to cast a fly would have frowned upon such energetic casting during the genteel practice of spent gnat fishing :wink ).

Thanks,
Ciaran.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #169 on: 21/03/2013 at 00:10 »
Hi Ciaran,

All that makes sense.  If back casting space is a problem and you are only looking to hit 60' from feet to fly then the SLX should be fine for the Harrison.  10' of rod, 33' of head a few feet of running line shot and a 12' leader will get you to 60' with no problem. Not sure where you are based but there is an Orvis / Barrio demo day at Haddo on 14th April, come along to that with your rod and try a few lines if you can.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #170 on: 21/03/2013 at 00:41 »
Good questions Ben, based on Ciaran's reply I think I would agree and suggest the SLX :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #171 on: 21/03/2013 at 00:52 »
I'd love to make the demo day, but I'm afraid it's a little too far from Co. Clare (West of Ireland) for a day trip!

At the 60' range, will there be much of a difference between the GT and the SLX?  And of course my bank fishing is probably going to demand getting better at presenting beyond the 60' range at which point the GT125 becomes the more likely suitor?

(if only budget were of no concern).

Thanks,
Ciaran

Noel Kelly

« Reply #172 on: 21/03/2013 at 06:10 »
Hi Ciaran
Cant advise on the line but interested in where you will be fishing? I'm from Clare myself  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #173 on: 21/03/2013 at 11:37 »
I am not going to dissagree with the casting/line gurus here as they have forgotton more than I know, but I have been using Harrison blanks for a good number of years now and know the Sportfish blank pretty well.

As you say, it would be classed as a slow blank by modern standards, but despite its "bend", it recovers pretty quick.

I used a GT125 on one of them (#9 on a 9/10 rod) and it/I loved it. It was extremely relaxed and easy to cast with and just felt "right". It was easy to carry a fair amount of line and there was no need to "shoot" for the horizon, just let the line go and off it went. Presentation was nice as well (for a #9!)

I also used a WF #9 Airflo that cast well but just did not feel right. I had to work a little more with that line, and shoot a lot of line, which the softer Harrison does not really like.

Lastly I tried a DT 10 on it, just for sh!ts and giggles, and it was horrid. Felt very overloaded.

I built a 5/6 weight version for a mates dad and he used a Lee Wulff Triangle Taper line, saying it cast lovely, so an SLX on a river would be nice as the action lends itself to spey casting.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #174 on: 21/03/2013 at 15:13 »

I used a GT125 on one of them (#9 on a 9/10 rod) and it/I loved it. It was extremely relaxed and easy to cast with and just felt "right". It was easy to carry a fair amount of line and there was no need to "shoot" for the horizon, just let the line go and off it went. Presentation was nice as well (for a #9!)

a 9wt Barrio line ?  :roll

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com