Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #75 on: 01/06/2012 at 16:11 »
As Popeye might say, I got one in olive too Roberto and can't wait to try it out.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #76 on: 02/06/2012 at 23:20 »
As Popeye might say, I got one in olive too Roberto and can't wait to try it out.

Iain

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 I like it!

Loxiafan

« Reply #77 on: 03/06/2012 at 01:10 »
Good to hear there is an Olive SLX now. Only prob is...I reckon I'd need a #3 for my #4 Streamflex XF2 if the GT90 is anything to go by :roll

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #78 on: 03/06/2012 at 01:16 »
Hi Lindsay

GT90 #4 should be fine on a Streamflex #4 ......... Does yours feel heavy?

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #79 on: 03/06/2012 at 14:08 »
Hi Mike,

I think I would need a #3 SLX on both the #4 Streamflex's - I tried a GT90 #4 and it was great at short to short/middle distance but any longer and the rod got well bendy and started to lose control (probably as much a reflection of my pants casting  :z7).

A few guys on Fly Forums recommend underlining with the SF XF2's as well, something I discovered early on. DT's seem to be a bit better at the particular rating too, I think it is just with having all that weight quite near to the tip on a WF that the SF waves a white flag. I am looking at other Rod options just now, possibly a Orvis Access 9' #4 tip action to see how I get on. I seem to have quite a fast casting action (?) and maybe a tip action would suit this ?? Mainly fishing a single dry these days so the tighter loop may be desirable too...The SF's, although very good for the money IMO, are really very close in rods in my opinion thus suit the comp guys to a T, but there are times I would like to control the line more in the air (as I say self taught in the casting dept, and full of flaws no doubt !).

Got confused with the Orvis Supefines being "ultimate dry fly rods" as they are classed as 'butt' in action - I always thought that the best dry rods were tip action for accuracy, but possibly this is for distance ? All too technical for me I am afraid ! Ben what say you ? If I do get a new Rod will defo get an SLX though as your lines are pure quality  :z16

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #80 on: 03/06/2012 at 17:38 »
Hi Lindsay,

The Streamflex are quite soft rods from memory (long time since I cast one).  The bigger the bend in the rod, the greater the distance you have to move the rod so with a longer line out of the tip or a faster acceleration of the rod you need to move the rod over a greater distance between the stops.  Does that make sense?  I'm sure that the streamflex should be quite happy presenting a dry at 55-60' from where you are stood, this is about maximum range I would want to present a fly at anyway.

WRT the Superfines......  They are a full flex action and soft for their line ratings, the expectation with most of the models is that they will predominantly be used at close range although the will cast long when required.  They give good feel with a short length of the prescribed line outside of the tip which helps with accuracy at close range for most (unless you can shorten the casting stroke with a fast rod and cast "off the tip").  Main benefit of softer rods is when fishing small flies on light tippet for big fish, they are more effective at absorbing lunges.

If you do have a fast snappy stroke then a tip actioned rod would probably suit you better although to get the best out of a fast rod you really do need to be able to adjust your stroke and power application at will.

Bring the kit you are struggling with to the ADAA day at the bothy next Sunday and I'll spend a bit of time with you to see if we can get things sorted.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #81 on: 03/06/2012 at 18:03 »
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for all the advice there and the kind offer about Sunday, will see you down there so you can try one of the XF2's - they are apparently quite different from the original SF's but I can't comment. FWIW most folks prefer the older model it seems. Very happy with it at close range but with more line out it gets a bit wild to say the least ! I am also probaby a bit "wristy" in the forward delivery stroke as well which may not help.

I felt my presentation was suffering a bit lately, especially in the wind, and I have been through furled leaders with RM loops, making up my own knotted mono leaders, needle knotted Hardy Copoly tapered leaders and am now back on Dibble Furled leaders with  tapered tippet - all too technical for me but I do think I have been missing something and I am certainly 'learning' ! However, blaming leaders, tippets and now Rods - the common denominator is me, so may just have to face up to it  :oops

Cheers,

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #82 on: 06/06/2012 at 14:12 »
The new olive head SLX lines are now in stock in all weights #4 to #8 :z12

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #83 on: 11/06/2012 at 07:45 »
The new olive head SLX lines are now in stock in all weights #4 to #8 :z12

had a quick play with one yesterday - love the colour, subtle but visible. and a lovely supple line as always. Doh, i think I just ordered one too :-)

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #84 on: 11/06/2012 at 09:04 »
Had my first proper play with the olive SLX #4 yesterday at Parkhill Loch and then on the river at Kemney.

To compare, I started off with £50+ of Joan Wulff Signature with a 32' head. This has been my go to line for the river and for fishing dries/small buzzers. I had 20 minutes with that line to "dial in" and then swapped to a more conventional £60+ Cortland 555 Rocket Taper WF#4. The rod was a #4 Orvis Zero Gravity 10.5 flex (so fastish)

Both these lines I am used to and I know that the Wulff needs to have the entire head out before the rod starts to work and that the 555 requires a bit of a haul to get it to shoot well.

So onto the SLX.

First the colour. Its a lovely subtle Olive, but has the knack of being visible on dark and light water. This I liked. I know some of you like the orange, and I do indeed have an Orange 6 weight, but there is something about this olive version that is just "right" when fishing tiny dries and buzzers. In the air is was easy to see as well, so looking back at my back cast I could track the line against the sky or trees.

The feel. Like all of Mikes lines, the line feels smooth and lays nicely on the water. I needed to strectch the line a little at the transition to the thinner line as it has a little kink, but as soon as I did this, it laid out fine. I put it down to being wound on a small reel with tight coils.

The cast. I got some line out the tip and started to do mini rolls until the entire olive head was out. Now, single handed spey casts are new to me, so I was not expecting much, but, I was managing to get the line out without to much issue, certainly well enough to present a fly good enough for a fish to take. My "energised" speys need work, but again I was able to shoot a bit of line, certainly more than I expected.

Change of direction. Now..this is where the line really came into its own. From straight out in front, a snake roll cast to the left then into a single spey saw me move the fly 90+ degrees no problem and put the fly down gently. Going the other way, a circle C into a spey and shoot and again, the fly moved 90 degrees. Its nice to be able to just flick and shoot the fly to different fish rising without overhead casting. From a boat I think you could have a lot of fun with this line.

Silly casting. Now, I know the SLX is not designed for overhead casting as such, but wow, does it do it well. Head on the transition point, roll into the air, a double haul and shoot and you can add an extre 10-15 yards no issue. I can't remember how long the SLX is but I had 6-8 turns of the line on my reel, the rest was out in front of me on the water. Not bad for a 4 weight and me. Its maybe not the most delicate of landing due to the profile, but it is more than good enough to present a fly to a distant fish.

On the river. I used the line for about an hour on the river, taking 5 small Brownies from a bit I would not of been able to fish with an overhead cast. River was runnibg left to right so I had to use a fairly large change of direction to get the dry fly slightly upstream of the fish to allow a drift over them. I used a snake roll to do this and the line/rod managed this without fuss. The line picks up nicely and leaves very little "rip" in the water, meaning stealthy casts to wary fish are possible.

So, what do I not like about the line. The only thing I can think of, and I can remedy it myself, is that the transition from olive to white is gradual (the olive fades out) so its not the easiest thing to see. A black marker pen will sort that though.

For a line costing a great deal less than my other two lines, I can see this as my go to line for still water and running. I love it!! The #4 is very sweet indeed. I am going to try it on my Sage XP next...I hope that this combination is going to be the beez kneez!!

Thanks for a great line Mike et al.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #85 on: 11/06/2012 at 13:13 »
nice report that sums it up very well, Rob.  :z16  this line seriously rocks !    :z13

Rudy

« Reply #86 on: 11/06/2012 at 15:19 »
I was one of the lucky ones that got an SLX from the first batch that got delivered. At that time it was still winter and all the weather was frozen stiff. The first casts I made with temperatures well below zero.
Even in these shitty conditions the line had no memory and it felt very very nice.
It was very comfortable, well balanced.
After almost half a year the line is still my number one line. It hasn't been of the reel since I got it and that says a lot, for me.
I think it is because it has that very special quality that it just does what you want it do. The line does it so well that you just forget about it and just cast.

I already knew that the line was a great casting line, for all singlehanded spey variations but also for overhead.
I took the line with me to Norway a few weeks back and during the fishing trip I found it that the line is a fine presentation tool is well. It handles all the curves and bends etc you want to make very well. It's dead easy; cast, wiggle it, and Bob's you Uncle.
I have said it before, that in my opinion the SLX is one of the best flylines I have ever cast.
The only thing I hoped for was the option to also get it in a more drab color. I like the orange head for casting, but for fishing I just like something with a more natural color.

So when I saw today that Mike has answered my prayers, I ordered the Olive one straight away.
Mike thanks again for making this killer flyline. Can't wait for the Olive one to arrive.

Cheers,
Rudy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #87 on: 11/06/2012 at 15:35 »
I couldn't agree with you more Rudy.... These are (maybe) the most versatile lines I have used till now... Speycasting heavy nymphs ( or a rigs off them), casting in heavy wind with a tandem wet flies or even delicately presenting a dry fly... The line will work with you...

Just in case one of mine could 'die' I just ordered some olive ones..... Great work Mike... Thanks.....

I used the lines on my trip to Ireland two weeks ago.... Just have a peek at my blog for some photo's...

http://tight-loops.nl/?p=1376

Maybe you could develop some speylines Mike, so I can catch me a salmon next time over.....  :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #88 on: 11/06/2012 at 19:39 »
Hi Rudy
Welcome to the forum :z16

Thanks for the great feedback, I'm really pleased that you like the line!

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #89 on: 11/06/2012 at 19:40 »
Thanks for the great feedback on the SLX Rob :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com