Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Barrio SLX Fly Line
« Reply #150 on: 27/02/2013 at 14:29 »
Thanks for the Olive #4 SLX received this morning fast as heck as usual Mike ! Colour looks great, can't wait to cover a troot with it.....soon now !  :z16

Lindsay

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #151 on: 13/03/2013 at 16:58 »
Line arrived as Promised.
It is good to come across a Fair ,Honest trader who delivers a product that does what it says on the tin :z18.

Anything I can do in the future, just call.

Very Best Regards

Brian McGlashan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #152 on: 13/03/2013 at 17:11 »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for letting me know that the line arrived safely, I hope you spend many enjoyable hours on the water with it :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #153 on: 14/03/2013 at 21:15 »
Full day Tuition Today and I used the 5# SLX exclusively. Two rods with different actions Sage One 9ft and loop aeg 9ft
I am mentoring a guy for the gaic assessment and the line excelled at all tasks. Ok the distance cast posed a bit of a problem but with less of a carry and more of a shoot it worked. I think the 6# would have made it easier for him,but we don't want that :z4
I use the Loop opti(old model) and Greys platinum for usual

With the head length + rod + leader it worked out perfect as most of the casts are in the 40 to 50ft range.
I used a Super Yamame Flat Butt Leader 4x cut to just a tad over 9ft, so nothing special there.

It really was the line for the job and was very stable in the air, speys were a joy plus it was easy to see.
A while ago I decided if I was trying lines , rods,reels,waders or anything tackle wise, I would always tell the truth good or bad.

Tomorrow I fish with it :z16 and Sunday a full day Teaching.

Many Thanks Mike, the Guy should be contacting you soon.

Regards

Brian

Mike Barrio

« Reply #154 on: 14/03/2013 at 21:47 »
Thanks for the great feedback Brian :z16

Hope you have an enjoyable day on the water tomorrow :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #155 on: 15/03/2013 at 10:27 »
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what your syllabus requires but I'd say the #6 would be a safer bet than the #5 for an exam.

If I was ever to resit the AAPGAI masters test I would use the SLX #6 on my 906 TF Helios 1, when I sat I used that rod with a Wulff nymph taper.  The casts on the masters test were always in my mind when we were testing the prototypes.  I think Bernd Ziesche used the SLX #7 when he passed his AAPGAI Masters last autumn and I think most of the successful candidates at last years SGAIC exams also used the SLX.

Your findings on the distances are interesting, seems like you've got the line worked out mate.  When fishing I am rarely presenting a fly at more than 50 - 60' and when I do need to hit the upper end of that range, it is rare that I have space to carry line to get there so something that allows a good shoot from a fairly short carry is a bonus, also, reducing required number of false casts has to be a good thing.  The line was never really intended to be used at more than 85' from feet to fly, it will do 100'+ but if that was my requirement I would use a GT125.  For fairly close stuff I like something that gives me some feel and will always straighten the leader, I usually fish fairly long leaders and where I fish it is usually bloody windy.  Despite what the profile picture of the line my imply (totally rear end biased), the compound tapering and weight distribution in the head allows good feel at short range without compromising roll & Spey casting ability.  It is definitely more stable on any cast than the Opti and smoother than the TT Nymph in the air.  I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it when you fish it today.

I use the SLX for distance practice tune ups, it will carry long but you have to be very, very smooth and everything has to be right, stroke length, haul timing etc so it is good for honing that stuff.

Since the first prototype arrived I have been using the SLX for teaching, makes life very easy.  Rolls well and gives good feel on overheads with a short length out of the tip.  For me, getting the "feel" of a good cast is important, the SLX helps with this and the colour change is really useful for making casts repeatable and consistent.  I used to use a short heavy shooting head for teaching hauls but the SLX does this fine so it means one less spool to carry around.

Your honesty is appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #156 on: 15/03/2013 at 15:17 »
Hi Ben, Fished the river Leven(Fife) Fish  :z8 Me :grin.
The line fished great,downstream wind, although not strong it posed no problem. I had Nymphs and dries on.
One of the guys I was with is a bit of a Line tart so I told him It was a prototype for a big company,once he was converted I told him the truth. The other Guy was already going to buy one. Lovely line and I have no problems recommending it.

The Assessment is the Gaic and as I said in my post he would have been better with the 6# infact I have done all my Assessments using a 6# set up. But I can only advise people and If they don't take that advice and stick to a 5#, well you know the rest.

When I teach I like to have a 5# and a 6# but I have 2 6# Loop opti's to get through.

Best Regards.

Brian

Loxiafan

« Reply #157 on: 15/03/2013 at 15:48 »
Fished the river Leven(Fife) Fish  :z8 Me :grin.

What bit of the Fife Leven do you fish Brian ? I grew up in Glenrothes and learned to fly fish on the Leven around the town, Cabbagehall, Leslie and up as far as Auchmuir Bridge, occasionally the cut  :z16  This was in the 70's and 80's mind ! Is it worth a cast these days ?

I'm a fan of the SLX too (to keep on topic) but my casting is no up to you guys level and finesse  :oops

Lindsay

The Bankie

« Reply #158 on: 17/03/2013 at 16:48 »
Hi there , new to the form but though i would say something about the SLX line . Had a lesson with Ben Dixon today and found the line very easy to cast even with the wind blowing hard and raining at the same time was using Hydros rod with 4weight line , now all i have to do is hook a nice fish with it . Good times ahead and plenty of tight lines hopefully .

Mike Barrio

« Reply #159 on: 17/03/2013 at 16:52 »
Hi Robert
Welcome to the forum :z16

Not much of a day for being out there, but good to see that you enjoyed your lesson and liked the SLX :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #160 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:31 »
I have a Redington CPS 8'6" 4wt that's in need of a line and I think the SLX will fit the bill nicely.  My question is:
If you could only get one line for this rod, would you get the #4 as per the rod recommendation, or would you underline it with a #3?
Thanks,
Ciaran.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #161 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:40 »
Hi Ciaran,
Welcome to the forum :z16

A #4 for a #4 :wink

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #162 on: 20/03/2013 at 20:55 »
Thanks Mike,

Good to be here.  And thanks for the recommendation.

Now if I could just be so cheeky as to hijack my own thread....
I have a Sportfish 10' 6/7 wt IM6 Harrison blank that I like to use on the calmer evenings on the lake.  The softer action suits my lazy style of casting, what can I say.  Would you think a 6 or a 7 SLX would be the choice here, or is this more a rod for the GT125?  Mostly medium range fishing to rising fish, but the usual bit of random water searching when the conditions demand it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #163 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:05 »
My personal choice for that would probably be a GT125 #6 ...... but let's see what the forum members suggest? :wink

Best wishes
Mike

cmac

« Reply #164 on: 20/03/2013 at 21:06 »
Excellent.  I'll hold off ordering till the jury is in.  No point wasting two stamps  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com