Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

River Thurso
« on: 01/12/2011 at 21:17 »
On the same website that Iain posted the baillif vacancy I noticed this

http://www.asfb.org.uk/river-thurso-mothballs-hatchery/

If you've never ventured that far north for silver tourists, well, you should. The Thurso is an excellent river and it sounds like it's getting better. Eddie McCarthy is a top bloke and an excellent fishery manager. The river is superb with all sorts of water to cover. Oh and Loch More is the business for salmon and trout. Me and the Coastguard have had some real fun on that loch, even in a serious gale  :z16 (I should write a book called "Me and the Coastguard...")

If the stock in the river is on the up, so should you. The Ulbister Arms hotel is pleasant and has some seriously big baths for soaking in with a dram after a hard days fishing. They even put the red wine on top of the oven to get it "right" if you ask them nicely  :wink

:z1

Hamish Young

Re: River Thurso
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2011 at 00:23 »
They even put the red wine on top of the oven to get it "right" if you ask them nicely  :wink

I remember that conversation well :z4

I'd echo Euans suggestion, if you can manage a day or two on the Thurso dig deep and go; it's a belting wee river. Also heard the Wick did well this season past, so that's on my radar for 2012.

H :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com