Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Magic Buzzers!
« on: 20/02/2007 at 19:47 »
Just wondered if anyone wanted to share some paterns of successful flies especially buzzers. A photo wood be good and materials used would be helpfull.
Iam still quite new to tying and any new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Baz

Jay Scott

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2007 at 19:49 »
Okay Dokay did the trick for me today, caught 17 on on it over at Loch Insch but im sure you know about that one  :wink:

Jay

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2007 at 19:56 »
Never knew it was common knowledge but saying that i had a few on them last time i ventured up there!.

Sandy Nelson

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2007 at 20:03 »
Baz

Apart from the Red Hooks, when i tie buzzers i tend to be very boring

Black wire wound up a curved hook and a glo-brite 5 (orange) thorax built up like a low profile match.Then varnish whole fly.

thats the heavy one and the one for coloured water, i tie it with thread body to sink slower.

In clear water i tie both with glo brite cheeks and a black thorax.

Using olive instead of black covers just about every buzzer that hatches this far north

Sizes 12-18 :z16

Sandy

Jay Scott

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2007 at 20:18 »
Its a good allround pattrn, the trout seem to be especially aggressive towards the yellow and green ones

Jay

Stuart Smith

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #5 on: 21/02/2007 at 04:19 »
i use black thread boady with a built up black thread thorax with silver or gold thorax cover.the same body in olive and red works well.normall catch on them every time i use them

as sandy was saying add some glo brite cheeks works quite well too

round about size 12 to 18.

ive got some tyed on size 6 grub hooks tyed with a short body which i put one the point if i want the cast to sink very fast

stuart :z12

Barry Robertson

Size 6 Grubber!
« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2007 at 08:09 »
Thats almost suitable for sharks stuart! Never even knew they made them that big. Do you catch much on a size 6 or is that just a spring pattern?

Derek 365

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #7 on: 21/02/2007 at 09:20 »
Hi Baz ,
           i've 2 buzzer patterns that really do some damage for me , both have black holographic tinsel underbody and are ribbed with either black or brown flexifloss the varnished . Keep the ribbing quite sparse as the varnish seems to melt the flexifloss and it spreads hiding the tinsel .

Barry Robertson

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #8 on: 21/02/2007 at 11:16 »
Never noticed black holo tinsel on the market! Where did you get that from?.

Sandy Nelson

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2007 at 16:10 »
Black holo tinsel, try sportfish or GAC

you can get green,red,black,purple as well as gold and silver.

Cool stuff for experiments. :grin:

Sandy

Derek 365

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #10 on: 21/02/2007 at 16:22 »
Somers , but you'll find it anywhere . I used the thinest(fine) as it gives a slimmer buzzer than using medium or thick

Barry Robertson

got it!
« Reply #11 on: 21/02/2007 at 16:38 »
Got a lot of goodies from this site today including some black holo tinsel.

www.cascadecrest.com

Stuart Smith

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #12 on: 23/02/2007 at 05:30 »
bigtroot

i get fish on the size 6 quite alot

speeking about sharks i should try some of the size 6 for the sharks out here in oz

Tam Greenock

Magic Buzzers!
« Reply #13 on: 23/02/2007 at 18:25 »
My favourite pattern is a Bangour Buzzy and so easy to make

Size 10 or 12 Buzzer hook
Start by putting a small gold metal bead on up to the eye, make sure you put the small hole on first so it doesnt cover eye, followed by a red plastic one, then use black thread to cover shank and form a small thorax shape to stop beads moving and rib it with silver wire, varnish twice.

To make a lighter Bangour Buzzy substitute metal bead with a Gold plastic one.

lf someone would like to explain how to post a piccy l will see what l can do.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 24/02/2007 at 11:55 »
Thanks for all the feedback gents!. Its amazing how many different styles are favourites. Would you agree the majority of the best buzzers are the ones that are not available over the counter!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com