Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Notthome

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« on: 22/12/2006 at 17:04 »
Hi All
I was hoping to find out if any one out there might have any information about a fly tying vice that I recently acquired.  It is marked as being manufactured by Hardy of Alnwick, however I can't seem to find any reference to fly tying vices that Hardy made over the years.  I believe this vice is of the 1920-30 era.  Any help or infor would be greatly appreciated.

Hamish Young

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #1 on: 22/12/2006 at 21:12 »
Picture would be good.......................... :?:

Mike Barrio

Re: Hardy vice?
« Reply #2 on: 22/12/2006 at 22:08 »
Hi "Notthome"

Welcome to the forum  :cool:

(below) Here is a photo that Doug has sent me folks

Best wishes
Mike Barrio
 :z3

Mike Barrio

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #3 on: 23/12/2006 at 16:47 »
Hmmm, not very easy to see much in the photos, but to be honest, the vice is not looking very "Hardy" to me.
I could of course could be wrong ........ as so often happens  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #4 on: 23/12/2006 at 20:43 »
Doug

Have you tried asking Hardy themselves.
I've visited the museum a few times, i have a vague recollection of a vice similar to that in one of the displays, but it may have been a figment of my imagination :z6
I'm sure i've seen something like that somewhere before, but i cant put my finger on where.
I'll have to troll the depths of my memories, wheres Hamish's boat rods when you need them :z4

Sandy

Notthome

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2007 at 00:03 »
Sandy
I took your advice and contacted Hardy.  Apparantly they did make two models of fly tying vices and they were listed in their 1929 catalogue.  The vice models were the "amateur" and the "coulin".  I,ve tried to find out more by researching the internet  and have found a couple of reference to the "hardy coulin fly makers vice" but haven't found a picture to confirm if it might have been this one.    If anybody has any more info it would be appreciated.  Thanks
Doug.

Cal

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2007 at 17:58 »
Hi there
Your vice is indeed a Hardy. It is in the 1937 Hardy Anglers Guide as the "Hardy Coulin" described as being "designed by Mons. E. Coulin, an ardent amatuer fly dresser". One thing though, the brass coloured bracket is probably a later edition and not standard. Cost 9/- in 1937

Hamish Young

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2007 at 20:42 »
Jings Calum - didn't realise you were such a Hardy buff  :wink:

Sandy Nelson

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2007 at 21:52 »
Cool.

We like answers to riddles :grin:
And perhaps I'm not going mad after all, despite spending so much time with Mr Barrio :z4  :z4  :z4

Sandy

Cal

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #9 on: 20/01/2007 at 10:42 »
Well I do own one Hardy rod, remember Hamish the one I got second hand from the shop Euan used to work, bit of a bargain. No to be honest, I only knew the answer because one of the older locals gave me the catalogue a couple of years ago. Makes for interestign reading, did you know that Hardy used to sell fishing spears with up to 6 prongs and a 6ft bamboo shaft, bet they don't stock them nowadays, and also a harness device which holds the rod for one armed anglers ( it asks you to state which arm you intend to use). Don't you just know they would send you the wrong one nowadays.

Hamish Young

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2007 at 12:29 »
Quote from: "Cal"
Don't you just know they would send you the wrong one nowadays.

Aye - and it'd be made in China  :roll:

Notthome

Hardy Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #11 on: 20/01/2007 at 23:26 »
Cal
Thanks for the information on the vice.  It is much appreciated.  Haven,t used it to tie yet, but it does hold the hook very nicely.  Just going to add it to a small vice collection i,m trying to accumulate.  Thanks again to all for your input.
Doug.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com