Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

David Norwich

Re: Barrio LC905 Fly Rod
« Reply #25 on: 11/05/2010 at 11:58 »

I've added a picture to show just how small the diameter is of the mandrels the carbon pattern is wrapped on.

These ones are less than half a milimetre in dameter and are used to make Mike's rod tip sections. The carbon fibre pattern is wrapped round this tiny mandrel to form the tip section.

Even though we do this on a regular basis, I still marvel at just how it can possibly be done, and then be turned into a fly rod section that will withstand the extremes of casting technique as shown in the above picture of Paul Arden casting.

David.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 11/05/2010 at 12:25 »
Ahhhh..but David, there is no pressure on the tip in that shot, it is effectivly straight and not under load. Its the butt thats taking the pressure there....and that truely is amazing when you see how thin that is as well :)

I do marvel at how you can produce such wonderfully light, delicate blanks and still build in the strength and power.

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio LC905 Fly Rod New
« Reply #27 on: 11/05/2010 at 20:52 »
Ahhhh..but David, there is no pressure on the tip in that shot, it is effectivly straight and not under load. Its the butt thats taking the pressure there....and that truely is amazing when you see how thin that is as well :)

Rob ...... "no pressure on the tip" ..... You should have seen it a split second before that shot!  :z7

Paul is pretty good at pushing a rod to the limit. Some top quality rods would have "exploded" before reaching that point of the cast! :z14 

Cheers
Mike

Mike Heritage

« Reply #28 on: 11/05/2010 at 22:06 »
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for Monday, I had a great time. The fishing you have there is just mind blowing.

Here is Paul, not quite going full tilt with your rod, but giving it a decent workout

Mike  

David Norwich

« Reply #29 on: 11/05/2010 at 22:15 »
Hi Mike,

Looking at the picture of Paul casting again, the load that the Barrio rod is under is similar to the load I put on blanks in a maximum deflection destruction test that I do now and again. A sample of many of the blank models I have made has been  tested to destruction using that test at some point.

The test is made by anchoring the blank by the butt horizontally in a specially made clamp, a weight is added to the tip, which is increased incrementally till the load causes it to break. It takes a surprising amount of weight to break even the lightest light line blanks.

Every blank built also gets what I call the "welly test." where the each section of the blank is bent to an extreme degree that will very rapidly show any anomalies in the blank construction. The blank is then assembled and given the same test.

Having passed that test, the rod blank can then be confidently built into the finished fly rod.

Great videos Mike H!

Regards,

David.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Barrio LC905 Fly Rod New
« Reply #30 on: 11/05/2010 at 23:25 »
Hi Mike,
no need to persuade me about the strength of you rods :), it is pretty obvious they are something special!

But back to the tip ;). Of the rods I have seen break on the cast/playing a fish, it tends to be either the butt, just above the handle, or about two thirds up the blank. The tip is under less pressure as the rod starts to reach it's full bend, as can be seen on YouTube if you search for Hardy/Greys rod test.  Makes good viewing. 

However, tips break a lot, normally when the angler is pulling line through on setting up, causing an extreme angle straight on the tip.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 13/06/2010 at 22:39 »
Hi folks :cool:

Just a quick note to explain that the edits throughout this thread and on my main website have been to remove the name of the 'Barrio Outcast' fly rod and replace this with 'Barrio LC905' fly rod due to a trade mark issue that has been brought to my attention :oops

I have done my best to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 14/06/2010 at 08:42 »

Just a quick note to explain that the edits throughout this thread and on my main website have been to remove the name of the 'Barrio Outcast' fly rod and replace this with 'Barrio LC905' fly rod due to a trade mark issue that has been brought to my attention :oops

I have done my best to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Oh dear..its either the Rugby Team Cass plays for, or the biker gang in Aberdeen...lol. Neither should be messed with ;)

Mike Barrio

Re: The new 'Barrio LC905' Fly Rod
« Reply #33 on: 13/07/2010 at 22:22 »

The Barrio LC903 has arrived ..... a 9ft 3 piece 3wt and very much the LC905's baby sister!
I'll have the demo rod at the Forum Day Out for you to try :z16

This is an awesome little fly rod :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com