Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Rod lengths
« on: 02/09/2011 at 11:22 »
I have a hankering for a new rod for next season. The Scott is getting on a bit and doesn't do all that I want these days, but it will make a great spare / intermediate line back up rod.

So here's the question. If you had one rod to fish from a tube AND and drifting boat what length would it be?

I was looking at a 10' #4 but after a conversation with Mike yesterday about 10' rods being too long for a tube and tip breaks occurring, I don't know any more. Anyone use a 10 footer in a tube?

I do know that I want it to be a #4, 4 piece (Orvis Access is currently top of the list, Helios if I get into a bank after closing time) and as light as possible.

Over to you chaps.

Ta,

:z1

Ben Dixon

Re: Rod lengths
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/2011 at 12:31 »
Hi Euan,

Kev, Stuart, Hamish and a few others all fish a 10'er from the tube.  I have done and did not find it an issue landing fish.  I can see what Mike is saying, you'd need to be careful about the tip angle when bringing it to hand or to the net. 
If you're interested in an Access I can arrange a play with one.

CHeers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 02/09/2011 at 13:38 »
Euan

I've not long finished making a sage 9'9" "99" for a 4wt
With tubes, lochs and bugs in mind, it's magic on grass
Not tried it on the water yet. I'm home on the 1st of October so it's available to
Try out if you want to  :z16 from then onwards. Could be a curve ball :z4
I think the new Scott A4 might come in 10ft 4wt as well :wink
In fact you may well find a few to try, seems to a popular configuration these days.
 Could be a lot fun finding out. I've a 9ft S4 and tcx that are both stonking 4wts too.
Lots of options ( I'm into 4's at the moment, have a rather special grass one too)

Boy I'm looking forward to getting home and back into the groove :z1

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2011 at 13:43 »
I use a 10ft Orvis Western 3 5# from tube and boat and like it a lot. Not sure if itomes in a 4# though, sure Ben can advise.

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 02/09/2011 at 14:11 »
Orvis do make a Wester3 for a #4 line.  I have one and it is my rod of choice for most of my loch / boat stuff.  Softer than the Helios & Access 104's, I like it. 

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 02/09/2011 at 16:45 »
As Ben has already pointed out I fish a 10' rod from the tube and boat (a 4wt Helios) and have yet to suffer any issues at all in the 'tube. I see what Mike is probably suggesting, but if you're canny and have a suitable net with a decent handle length for using in the 'tube I don't see any reason not to buy a 10' rod myself.

That Helios is very much my 'go to' rod for really anything trout related other than streamer fishing and if I had to choose an all rounder for tube and boat then it would be 10' - no question.
I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a 9'6" rod, but given the choice it'd be the 10' every time. Although others may have a different view, I see rods of 9'6" and over as a positive advantage from a drifting boat. Equally, I can see the merits of a 9' rod for 'tubing - but 10' would be my personal preference.

As to line weight.... hmmmm. I can see advantages in having something in the 5 or 6wt territory, if only for (maybe) a sinking line and lure fishing for 'bows or perhaps chucking something a bit heavier about for Sea Trout or (even) the occasional Salmon making the rod more of an 'all rounder' for you. Then again, if you don't see yourself doing much of that then the Western3 #4wt that Ben uses is quite happy with 'proper' sized loch flies and having had a chuck or two with it I suspect it would probably cope with pretty much anything you cared to fish with. I quite like it and would consider one although if my recollection is sound it's a 3 piece. I have yet to try the Access so can't pass comment.
I'll be intrigued to try out this new Sage that Sandy has crafted (he builds a nice rod, by the way :wink) as I have yet to pick up a Sage of recent times that I haven't immediately got on with.

H :z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 02/09/2011 at 17:09 »
Thanks everyone  :grin
Ben - I'd love to try the Access 104. Maybe I should have a dental appointment soon... :wink In fact I have quite a few over the next two months so you'll probably get a text at some point.

Sandy - Damn you! :z7 There I am almost out of therapy from our last meeting and you go teasing me with rod candy once again.

Hamish - I think you already know why I asked this question :z4 The Western is a 3 piece so that's out regardless of how nice it is. The old Scott can take care of sunk l line duties.

Maybe we should have a 4 weight day at Haddo when Sandy get through quarantine and has all his shots up to date.

I still think the Access might be the one.... :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 02/09/2011 at 18:40 »
I use a 10ft Orvis Western 3 5# from tube and boat and like it a lot.

Me three :cool:

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 02/09/2011 at 20:35 »
From the tube I prefer the shorter rod (and slightly shorter leader to suit) in fact I typically use a 9' rod.
I just feel with the restrictive or confined nature of the tube coupled with the fact that many fish will be either hooked or cast to very close to the tube I have the feeling of more control.  :z8

Prefer a 10' rod from the boat if there's an option.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 02/09/2011 at 20:52 »
Iain,
It's a 9' #5 that I use currently so I may have to try 9' #4 to see what I make of that. I do like a 9 footer  :z16
And then Sandy will pop up with his Sage 99 and I'll go all to hell and not know what I'm doing  :z6

Again....

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 02/09/2011 at 21:50 »
The Western is a 3pc.  Will throw anything within reason with the right line on it, for light (floating) line loch stuff, I like the Orvis Power Taper Wonderline WF4F (half size heavy & short front taper).  It kicks over hard and is useless for anything remotely delicate without a Bonefish tapered leader on the end but it will turn over a cast of 3 bushy deer hair & rubber things at most ranges. 

The Western is a much deeper flexing slower actioned rod than the Helios or Access, something I like when wild loch trouting from a boat (this applies only to the 104, the rest are quite pokey).

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 02/09/2011 at 22:01 »
I guess I'm outvoted then :z4

I do prefer the longer rod for a drifting boat, but I find it cumbersome for netting a fish in a float tube and watching others at the fishery I wince when I see their rod tip bending as the fish comes closer to the tube!

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 02/09/2011 at 22:08 »
You do make a very good point Mike.  I'd estimate that 80% of rods I get back broken are tips that have been snapped whilst playing or landing fish.  I always ask what angle the rod was at when it broke and the answer is usually near vertical and the rod is probably more likely to be in this position more freqiently when trying to land a fish from the bike.

Best solution IMO would be a universal ban on rubber rings :z4

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 02/09/2011 at 22:14 »
Almost every time that I have discussed this with anybody at the fishery, their reason for wanting a 10ft rod for float tubing is that they catch their backcast on the water with a 9 footer ...... personally, I think that this should be easy enough to cure with a change in their casting angle?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 02/09/2011 at 22:51 »
Almost every time that I have discussed this with anybody at the fishery, their reason for wanting a 10ft rod for float tubing is that they catch their backcast on the water with a 9 footer ...... personally, I think that this should be easy enough to cure with a change in their casting angle?

Cheers
Mike

Should be depending upon line type and length of line they wish to carry.  At Haddo I think I would probably go 9' from a tube as it's very unlikely I'd be working flies through a wave or dibbling and for me a shorter rod is more accurate than a longer rod so better suits how I fish at Haddo.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com