Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

folks

looking for some recommendations for night-time eye wear for low/fading/no light.

In the daytime/sun i wear maui jim kona sunglasses, love 'em, but they are brown lensed, so in the evening they make everything a few shades darker than reality.

At the moment, I'm wearing my daytime sunnies at night... as it darkens... i'm either fishing blind or fishing without eye protection - just rather be safe.

Remember follks here recommending yellow/amber for low light. So what do you recommend? i'm not setting a budget, only get one pair of eyes!

thanks in advance
iain

Rob Brownfield

Iain, we were issued ballistic "glasses" when on operations. These are ideal in full darkness as the clear lens wraps around the eye giving full protection, and they will not shatter if you get a face full of tungstan bead. They come with an amber and a brown polarised lens too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Revision-Sawfly-Ballistic-Glasses-Tan-Frames-Large-Size-/380424442211?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item5893105163

Not bad for £35

Hamish Young

I'm using some yellow tinted polarising safety glasses for low light conditions - I call them my 'happy glasses' :cool: - the ones I have came courtesy of very nice folk at Scottish & Southern Energy who I did a spot of water safety training with (thanks fellas :wink) but I've seen more 'fishy' glasses from Vision and others.
My next pair will probably be a wee bit more durable as the lenses have scratched quickly.

The yellow tint is the dogs danglies during most of the Scottish summer.

H :z3

Marc Fauvet

yellow definitely !

Noel Kelly

There's a guy on the fly forum does glasses.
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/other-fishing-equipment-clothing-books-dvds-etc/249889-more-polarized-glasses-new.html

I have a yellow pair of safety type glasses that I must dig out and try again. Been really struggling to see in low light conditions so maybe a visit to the opticians is called for  :z5 really don't want to after forking out lots of £ for laser eye treatment few years ago...

Ben Dixon

Vision X Spider with yellow lens are my current choice for everything.  Drove to work in the rain in them today and it made everything look brighter and sunny    :cool:

Great contrast, good for spotting fish in all conditions and are O.K until it is pitch black.  I used these in Mexico in preference to my very expensive Oakleys. If fishing at night I use clear wraparound lab safety specs.

Got the Visions in the shop.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

thanks folks

looks like yellow is the way ahead.

the superglue on my beloved Maui Jims is coming apart (ok,they are about 8 yrs old...). time for shopping.

Ben, i'm off this afternoon so will pop into the shop and have a look. and probably buy lots of other things I don't really need too

cheers
iain

Loxiafan

Been really struggling to see in low light conditions so maybe a visit to the opticians is called for  :z5 really don't want to after forking out lots of £ for laser eye treatment few years ago...

I am sure I read or was told that Laser correction treatment can negatively effect one's night vision ? May have got that wrong but I am sure it was one of the reasons that put me off and to stick with contacts. Maybe it is all different now, new technology and all that.

Rob Brownfield

I am sure I read or was told that Laser correction treatment can negatively effect one's night vision ? May have got that wrong but I am sure it was one of the reasons that put me off and to stick with contacts. Maybe it is all different now, new technology and all that.

I believe you are correct. The military will take someone with glasses or contacts, but not if they have had lazer treatment.

Noel Kelly

You may have read it here Iain, I noticed it the first summer after I had the procedure and there was some discussion about it. Was better last few seasons. Maybe it's a case of getting used to nights on the river again this year.

Noel Kelly

I believe you are correct. The military will take someone with glasses or contacts, but not if they have had lazer treatment.

Had a quick google and that is only the case for some branches of the uk forces. The US military are in favour of the treatment. Well off topic now but it is lunch break :z5
http://www.lasikreviews.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery-british-military-policy.htm

Iain Goolager

Ben, the Visions are tortoise shell frames, right?

That was the only thing that put me off (Mr Vain) but although I love my spec's It's that time of year again so need to get some better coloured lenses. Might reconsider my fishing wardrobe.

Yan

Euan Innes

Aye Yan, specy gits like us need to find options.
Strangely enough I was looking at what is out there in polarized frames for the likes of us. Can anyone out there answer me this? If your regular glasses are transition lenses (not polarized) do they still go dark if you put polarized clip-on or over glasses over them? I like the idea of over glasses but not if I end up wearing welders goggles! Any thoughts?

Regular polarized prescription glasses are too much for fishing but Cocoons clip-ons are really cheap and come in different colours so a yellow pair and a brown pair might only run to £50.

I like the idea of laser surgery but I don't like the idea of it going wrong.

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com