Re: Fed up with the snow already?
« Reply #45 on: 23/12/2010 at 22:01 »
How's your door tonight Ben ..... iced in, or iced out? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #46 on: 23/12/2010 at 22:49 »
Door has not been too bad Mike.  Put a full tube of that grease from Noel around the frame, seems to have worked but it has only thawed slightly on one day this week.

Got a new problem.....  a Bat doing high speed laps of my kitchen, can't catch, tried to club it with a Helios tube but it is too fast for me!!  Locked it in for a while and now it seems to have gone into hiding.  Not sure where it came from, first saw it when it flew straight at me when on the phone earlier.  Any tips?  Will a mouse trp left on the bench get it?

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #47 on: 23/12/2010 at 22:53 »
Never a dull moment at your place Ben! :z4 :z4

Yes, I would think you'd stand a pretty good chance with a mouse trap. Not sure what you'd use for bait though?

Can you not do some indoor casting with a dry fly in the dark? ... works on the Don :wink

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #48 on: 24/12/2010 at 01:29 »
Feckin snow :mad Just back from a wasted trip to Edinburgh. Planned to catch a flight to Ireland for xmas. 5 hr wait in the airport while flight was delayed, delayed and then cancelled. No seats available on any flight until 26th so an xmas here with the in-laws for me.... :z6 

Ben bats are a protected species... surely you could scoop it in a landing net? Failing that it should be asleep during the day so you may be able to catch it then. Wear thick gloves as they have been known to carry rabies in the uk!!!!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #49 on: 24/12/2010 at 01:53 »
Feckin snow :mad Just back from a wasted trip to Edinburgh. Planned to catch a flight to Ireland for xmas. 5 hr wait in the airport while flight was delayed, delayed and then cancelled. No seats available on any flight until 26th so an xmas here with the in-laws for me.... :z6 

Ben bats are a protected species... surely you could scoop it in a landing net? Failing that it should be asleep during the day so you may be able to catch it then. Wear thick gloves as they have been known to carry rabies in the uk!!!!

Bad shit with the flights Noel, not good.  Drive & get the hovercraft from Stranraer?

I tried the whole landing net shit, it is either not visible (goes into hiding) or is doing a shuttle run from one end of the kitchen to the other and it won't fly into the net, keeps avoiding it.  Thought knocking it to the floor with something (rod tube was first thing I picked up) then scooping up and chucking outside, too bloody quick for me!!  Locked it in the kitchen, when it is not flying about I cannot find it so don't hold out much hope of catching it sleeping during the day.  Don't really want to splatter it, bats are pretty cool just not in my house and definitely not cool when you have no idea they are there.  First I knew of it was walking into my kitchen tonight and it flew right at my face, ask H's missus!!

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #50 on: 24/12/2010 at 02:24 »
What did you do to annoy Rachel?

:z4

Hang a Barbless dryfly from a piece of line from the roof, then you can have the choice of keeping it as a kinetic display like some of those amusing mobiles, or you could then land it and take it outside.

Please don't bite the bat though, not all of them have rabies.

:z4 :z4

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #51 on: 24/12/2010 at 09:16 »
Hang a Barbless dryfly from a piece of line from the roof, then you can have the choice of keeping it as a kinetic display like some of those amusing mobiles, or you could then land it and take it outside.
Post of the year for me  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z16

In the interim Ben, you might try some Meatloaf. Well.... kind of:

:z3

Irvine Ross

« Reply #52 on: 24/12/2010 at 09:23 »
Ben

Check that it's not hiding in the folds of your curtains, if you have any in your kitchen. That's where they tend to hide when they get into our house. Once they fold their wings they are surprisingly small and can creep into very small spaces. Your only chance to catch it  will be to corner it when it has landed. The mouse trap won't work because they only eat insects not cheese or peanut butter.

It should be hibernating at this time of the year so I can't understand why it's flying about in your kitchen, or anywhere else for that matter. :z8

Happy hunting
Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #53 on: 24/12/2010 at 09:25 »
It should be hibernating at this time of the year so I can't understand why it's flying about in your kitchen, or anywhere else for that matter. :z8

If it's in Bens house, it's probably flying around in a vain effort to keep warm Irvine  :z7

If it's still in the kitchen I don't hold out much hope of it surviving for long  :shock

H  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #54 on: 24/12/2010 at 09:40 »

Yes, that's a cracker Sandy! ........  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z16

We already have a Spidermannie on the forum, does this mean that Ben will now be known as Batmannie? :z7

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #55 on: 24/12/2010 at 10:32 »
Yes, that's a cracker Sandy! ........  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z16

We already have a Spidermannie on the forum, does this mean that Ben will now be known as Batmannie? :z7

Cheers
Mike

Spiderman, Catman & Batman, bound to be someone work in the Vat office or the post office, anybody deliver milk?!!! :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Kevin Muir

« Reply #56 on: 24/12/2010 at 16:26 »
Ben, Pease take the time to set up a video camera of you trying to swat (capture) the bat.

The mental picture of you chasing it round your kitchen with it enjoying the game is just something I have to see in the flesh.

The only time I have had any success catching bats was when seatrout fishing at night, usually on the backcast.  Do you have enough space for this in your kitchen with the practise rod?  From memory, a size 14 Silver Stoat would be perfect, worth a try :z4

I am in high spirits, new tyres and can now plough through the sections of road that imprisioned me last week.

What a relief to get mobile again.

Happy hunting

Kev.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #57 on: 24/12/2010 at 19:34 »
Ben instead of the net thing try a bath towel.  Caught a couple on Loch Park over the years (they're partial to a falling dry flee  :shock) and make a hell of a racket.  Noisy wee feckers  once hooked as well but always got round it with a bar towel and a pair o forcepts.

The wee fecker will be hidin in yer cutains or behind a wall unit.

Allan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 02/01/2011 at 13:13 »
Another nice one from Youtube :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #59 on: 02/01/2011 at 13:25 »
I love this photo :z16

It's from pages 34/35 of the Spanish online magazine called Flymage
See the English version here: http://www.flymage.net/english.php

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com