Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: Fed up with the snow already?
« Reply #30 on: 20/12/2010 at 22:38 »
Still snowing in not so sunny Mosstodloch and to quote a good auld Scottish phrase, 'I'm Spewin.'  :cry

But, as i've said elsewhere, if a bad winter makes for a good fishing season then bring it on  :grin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 20/12/2010 at 22:45 »
Yes, I think the Spring was exceptional this year Allan :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #32 on: 20/12/2010 at 23:54 »
Certainly was Mike, however it didn't really let up either.  Ok yes the abundance o big fish didn't last as was to be expected, however the overall quality did (along with a smattering of further 'Rod Benders' from a few hill lochs and a couple of big name Caithness venues).
All in all there wasn't really a bad month to be had.  Plenty fly life, waters in good condition, fish in good condition (well once they'd caught up from the lean winter which didn't take all that long) enjoyment factor 100%

Strangely it's during this retrospective bit when you truly realise just how exceptional it all was (as long as you're true to yourself and don't simply gloss over the slower times).

Lot of further exploring to be had next season.  Roll on.

Allan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 21/12/2010 at 00:01 »
It was the same at Haddo Allan, as I'm sure a few folk on here will confirm, I can't remember the over-wintered fish ever being as great as they were this year. Some of this will be down to lack of stress I suspect, as the predators couldn't get through to chase them around.

This was the first spring that I have ever had customers asking me not to stock the loch :shock

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #34 on: 21/12/2010 at 07:18 »
I well remember the quality of the Haddo fish after the ice cleared. Best fishing I have ever had. -14 at Kintore this morning...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 21/12/2010 at 19:55 »
Don didn't fish so well for trout early season this year for me.  The salmon however was superb.

Bloddy cold here now, -15 about 5 mins ago and it's not even 8PM yet.  Door frozen tonight was PITA to get in again!!

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #36 on: 21/12/2010 at 22:12 »
-17.5 at Kintore now. Hope you survive the night Ben and can get your door open in the morn! Was that grease any good?

Ben Dixon

« Reply #37 on: 21/12/2010 at 22:21 »
If it's that cold Noel, I'm not going out to check!!

Had to break myself in tonight, took a while.  Put entire contents of full tube round the door tonight in the hope that I can get out without hassle in the morning.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 21/12/2010 at 22:25 »
It's certainly crisp outside just now! :shock ..... How's the new batteries doing Ben?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #39 on: 21/12/2010 at 22:36 »
It's certainly crisp outside just now! :shock ..... How's the new batteries doing Ben?

Cheers
Mike

Perfect Mike, even better now the glow plugs are sorted, turn the key & it fires immediately!!

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #40 on: 21/12/2010 at 22:41 »
It's now warmed up to -10 having hit -15 here earlier. No doubt this means more snow will come.
Which is nice.

I'm going to kick the cat in an effort to warm up a bit  :z7

:z3

Alex Burnett

« Reply #41 on: 22/12/2010 at 08:07 »
It's now warmed up to -10 having hit -15 here earlier. No doubt this means more snow will come.
Which is nice.

I'm going to kick the cat in an effort to warm up a bit  :z7

I don't like being kicked Hamish,  :cry It hurts :z4 :z4

Alex

Hamish Young

« Reply #42 on: 22/12/2010 at 23:10 »
Sorry Alex, but it had to be done  :z7

Don't know about being fed up with the snow.... but I am mightily f*cked off as my water supply froze. Again.
Well, the pump did. Mind you it was a tad chilly last night apparently it hit -22 last night according to my next door neighbour and his 'even geekier than mine' weather station.

To make me feel better I have once again kicked the cat and have cunningly re-designed the heating and insulation system for the pump so that it's probably better insulated than my house right now.

If it freezes again I might have one or three very choice, previously unheard and very colourful metaphors to share with the world  :mad

Ben Dixon

« Reply #43 on: 23/12/2010 at 00:00 »
I am mightily f*cked off as my water supply froze. Again.
Well, the pump did. Mind you it was a tad chilly last night apparently it hit -22 last night according to my next door neighbour and his 'even geekier than mine' weather station.

To make me feel better ....... and have cunningly re-designed the heating and insulation system for the pump so that it's probably better insulated than my house right now.

Sh&* innit!!  Will fire you some info for the ultimate in geeky weather stations, will probably appeal to you, needs a PC to run it.

Is it [the pump] now insulated how it should have been when it left the factory by any chance H?  :z4

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #44 on: 23/12/2010 at 00:05 »
Sh&* innit!!  Will fire you some info for the ultimate in geeky weather stations, will probably appeal to you, needs a PC to run it.
Cool.... well, hopefully not.

Is it [the pump] now insulated how it should have been when it left the factory by any chance H?  :z4

Yes.

Cheeky shite

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com