Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Re: Hanging up my d/handers...
« Reply #15 on: 16/06/2023 at 05:43 »
According to Fishpal, 2 salmon recorded so far this week (4 days) on the Dee.

I’ll stick to to the trout,

Dave,

It'd not just the Dee either...

Cheers,

Steven.

Graham Nicol

« Reply #16 on: 16/06/2023 at 07:54 »
I stopped salmon fishing 2 years back seeing the writing on the wall.
I found it so disheartening fishing day after day, seeing and touching nothing.  What particularly irritated me was paying over the top money to turn up at a beat and to be met by the ghillie saying "you're wasting your time and should have stayed at home"!
Less than 10 years back I had a day on Bandley with with my fishing mate in the back-end. At lunchtime we met up and he had landed 5 fish and I had touched nothing! In the afternoon the tables were reversed and I had 5 and he blanked. Nevertheless 10 salmon to 2 rods on a middle Don beat was incredible. Many beats will not achieve that for the season now. Troubled times indeed.

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 16/06/2023 at 08:58 »

Mi16 engine  *smiley-lol*

My first motor was the 1.9 205 GTi, in red of course 

Loved that car.....until I smashed it into a tree, backwards, a few feet off the ground, at what may (or may not !) have been above the speed limit...

1.6 GTi...............with an Mi16 engine and twin 45s.....

:-)

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: 16/06/2023 at 09:07 »
when i started fishing for salmon on the Don (about 2008) the river was heaving with fish in sept and oct. You'd be disappointed if you didn't catch something for your days effort - and that was on the council beat at kintore.

Even if you didn't catch there were constantly fish splashing which kept up the excitement and anticipation.

I think it was about 2012-ish that i noticed things going downhill on the Don.

The Dee seemed to do better ( but i didnt really fish it as i preferred the Don)

Now i will go if i get an invite to fish a nice beat that I have never been to before. I don't have any anticipation of actually catching anything , it's more for the company.

Even the Nairn which has faired very well ( i suspect the annual catch is WAY above many much bigger rivers) had been crippled for the last 2 years with a lack of rain....

Steven Kidd

« Reply #19 on: 16/06/2023 at 09:55 »
Well.....I was out last night on the river......and I can assure you there are plenty Salmon....

I may share for a small fee,  *smiley-funny*

Steven

John Wastle

« Reply #20 on: 16/06/2023 at 10:28 »
In the last 10 years I have gone from 50+ days , a combination of lets, syndicate and club fishing, to almost nothing. The last Dee fishing I did was in spring 2016 after years of decline of spring runs. Currently the whole river reports less in a prime spring weeks than our six rods were doing over two beats for the equivalent weeks in the 2000s.

The autumn fishing on the Tay and Tweed is as bad with barely a fresh fish to be seen.

There are only 3 or 4 Scottish rivers I would consider a (late) spring let on and all of them are north of Inverness and highly water dependent. There are none I would take autumn fishing on.

These days any salmon fishing I do tends to be as a byproduct of being on the river for trout. It's a sad situation but I can't say I really miss it that much. I have used it as an oppotunity to broaden my horizons.

Terry Coging

« Reply #21 on: 17/06/2023 at 09:49 »
I was saddened to read Stephens first posting. I hung my salmon d/hander up 30 years ago. I fished regularly on the Herefordshire Wye.  When I first started  our beat produced 70 fish including some whopping springers. 10 years later in produced 4! I realised that salmon were an endangered species and gave up.
Although I have not fished for salmon in Scotland for 40 years, when visiting the Assynt region and passing over the Cassley and Oykel I often think of the old days when a bit of rain later in the season would guarantee a fish or two. I used to read Neil Greasser's (he used to keep the Achness Hotel) catch reports in Salmon and Trout magazine and the returns used to kept me dreaming for for most of the year. The last few times that I've passed these rivers they could have been walked across in street shoes.
Interestingly, I have returned to the d/hander but for trout  :z18.

Alex Russell

« Reply #22 on: 17/06/2023 at 16:57 »
Aye salmon in a sad state, anglers have cancelled, hotels, b&bs struggling. Am just home went to look at the Findhorn sat for an hour or so looking at the river, nothing showing rain forecast Monday but way things are I might not bother wetting a line.

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 19/06/2023 at 20:32 »
Interesting thread.
With the river conditions the way they are I have not cast a line for a Salmon since early May. In fact, I have yet to book/arrange any fishing for the rest of the season. I doubt if I will 'retire' from Salmon fishing and hang up the rods for good, but my days out will be far fewer.
Besides, I need to get back to my trout fishing - and bass, and pollock and pike and.... well... you get the idea.
H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 25/06/2023 at 10:47 »
I can remember similar thoughts in the 90s - and anybody that hung up their rods then would have missed out on the runs of 2008-2010.

Dunno what the answer is Steven  :z8

Annual Salmon Catches Inverurie Burgh Fishings:

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #25 on: 30/06/2023 at 09:19 »
I find that the salmon fishing for me now is mainly about memory's.
  I used to get between 10 and 20 on the trout rod each season plus a lot more on the d/h.
What puzzles me the most is why the landowners who have the most to lose with a few exceptions seam to just take the money and do little else.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com