Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Brian McGlashan

Scottish Game Fair
« on: 01/06/2023 at 09:10 »
Some new initiatives at the Game fairs this year. There will be a New style Flytying tent with some of the Best tyers From the UK and Europe. Big screen fishing Films from around the Globe. The best casting demonstrators in the World! Glenda Powell, Andrew Toft, Stuart Sutherland(Fish X) and Scott McKenzie and others.

Casting championships will get fly fishing enthusiasts angling for glory at this summer’s game fairs.

Details have been announced of the popular fly casting competitions that will be running at first at The GWCT Scottish Game Fair in Perthshire, then The Game Fair in Warwickshire and finally The Welsh Game Fair in Gwynedd later this year.

The competition series is being run by the British Fly Casting Club (BFCC).

Three categories of fly casting competition will take place at the three game fairs:

● Trout casting distance

● Trout casting accuracy

● Double-handed (overhead) casting distance

The trout distance and accuracy casting competitions are open to everyone, although it is advised that complete novices take advantage of the have-a-go lessons available in the Fishing Villages. The double-handed overhead casting competition is reserved for those with previous experience in this more challenging discipline.

Anglers can enter individual categories with the results for each being displayed and a winner crowned every day (winners are announced at 3:15pm Friday and Saturday and at noon on Sunday), or for the chance to qualify for the overall casting championship, try their hand at all three disciplines.

Those who choose to compete in all three disciplines have the chance to go forward for the overall championship, with the winner and runner up in the open, ladies and junior category being invited to the championship grand final that will take place at the final event in the series, The GWCT Welsh Game Fair in September.

Entry costs £5 per person, per event and a special rate of £10 is on offer for anyone who enters three events. Fly casting outfits will be provided by the BFCC, whose members will volunteer to run the competitions, and the weight of the trout rods will be specified close to each event based on the weather forecast.

The distance casting competitions (trout single-handed and salmon double-handed casting) will both run over water at all the game fairs, and the trout casting accuracy competition will run over grass for all three events.

Mike Barrio

Re: Scottish Game Fair
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2023 at 11:56 »
Thanks for the info Brian.

Who is running the new style fly tying tent? How will it be different from previous years?

Can't seem to find an exhibitor list for Fishermans Row? Do you know who will be attending this year?

Scottish Game Fair

Scone Palace:  June 30th - July 2nd.

https://www.scottishfair.com/

From the website, looks like tickets are £26 for advanced booked, or £30 at the gate on the day.

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2023 at 11:56 »
Thanks for the info Brian.

Who is running the new style fly tying tent? How will it be different from previous years?

Can't seem to find an exhibitor list for Fishermans Row? Do you know who will be attending this year?

Salmon and Trout are sponsoring the Flytying tent Mike (Still to be confirmed). Trying to make it more interactive with some wee prizes for Youths fly dressing. Also have a forum, come in ask questions to the Demonstrators etc.

There will be Simba Rods, McKenzie, Loop with Will Peake, others to confirm. To be honest I don't have a list. The layout is different this year as well. Free parking.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 26/06/2023 at 12:30 »
Is anybody going this weekend ?

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 26/06/2023 at 22:53 »
Not for me this one.  Not into the corporate fishing 'guides' in attendance.

Sorry.

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 27/06/2023 at 11:10 »
I'm staying local and going to Moy this year (as I normally miss it)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 27/06/2023 at 12:41 »
I'm struggling to build up any enthusiasm for going down too I'm afraid -  I guess I've been left disappointed too many times before  :z8

« Reply #7 on: 27/06/2023 at 13:53 »
I will be there, but then I am fortunate enough to be tying at the game fair this year.

It's almost a catch-22 attending the game fairs and shows as a punter. In recent years, my experience as a punter has been of low attendance and a lack of good stalls or companies I would be interested in seeing. However, if attendance is low, there is minimal or no incentive for companies to go to the expense of attending shows.

I can only see shows improving once attendance improves. As punters, we can play a part in this by turning out. Organisers could also help by reducing stand costs for struggling areas like fishing. I know very little about the economics of these shows or how feasible this would be.

Having been at the highland show this weekend, organisers of such events could start caping prices within the venues, such as caterers. £11 for a burger meant I waited until I was on the way home to get something to eat. But these prices must put people off attending, especially families, as the cost quickly become scary.

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 29/06/2023 at 06:40 »
I am not attending Scone this year, I was invited to tie but we're heading off on a family holiday and the dates clash. Maybe next time. Or maybe not.....  :z8
H

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #9 on: 30/06/2023 at 20:07 »
Some good photos up on social media from today at the Game Fair, but few of “Fisherman’s Row” that I can see.

Did anyone manage down today? Is it worth a trip over the weekend?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 30/06/2023 at 20:51 »
Haven't been down Andrew, but from what I've heard, it's the fly tying tent, Simon with Simba Rods, TwinPeakes with Loop, Scott Mackenzie and Somers Fishing tackle.

Photo by TwinPeakes on Facebook.

Photo by Scott Mackenzie on Facebook.

Fly tying tent - photo by Stuart Smith on Facebook.

Fly tying tent - photo by Donald Stewart on Facebook.

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #11 on: 02/07/2023 at 16:43 »
Didn’t manage down to the Game Fair - stayed local with Abdn Armed Forces Day yesterday and Portsoy Boat Festival today.  Felt happier spending my money locally - especially as the burgers were probably cheaper up here.

Just about managed to avoid the rain both days thankfully. Deveron and Ythan looking like they had healthy levels of water on the way home.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 09/07/2023 at 17:35 »
How did it go Brian?

I hope you enjoyed your weekend  :z16

What thoughts have you come away with after the event? ..... Any new ideas or plans for next year?

Best wishes
Mike

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #13 on: 13/07/2023 at 18:39 »
Hi Mike, from our point of view it went well.Gave plenty of Tuition,comps were busier.Not a lot of retailers but I think these days are gone.Pleased with the Demos.McNab(Junior casting ,shooting etc) went well.Over 200 Kids getting to cast a rod. Flytying was fine.We could have done with better sineage but we were let down with that. Can things get better? Yes.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 13/07/2023 at 23:28 »
Pleased it went well for you Brian  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com