Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Hook 'fatigue' - a cautionary tale
« on: 01/05/2023 at 09:25 »
Yesterday - whilst out testing a rod built by Sandy - I had something happen when fishing for the first time. Ever.

I had a hook break on me, after hooking a fish  *smiley-shocking*  It was all quite annoying really, but it goes like this. I was covering a rising trout on a stocked water and was delighted when a broad-side trout rolled over the fly and I tightened into it. For all of a fraction of a second I was in, and then I wasn't  :z8
Experience has taught me never to cast again until checking over the leader and flies carefully, so I did so. I was quite astonished to find that the hook had broken just after half way round the bend towards the point  *smiley-shocking*

Now the fly in question was amongst the last elk hair caddis flies that I tied when still living in Aberdeenshire and fishing on the Don.  In truth that means it was tied 13 or 14 years ago.... it's been in a fly box that very occasionally gets opened, but it's hardly gone wet/dry/wet/dry etc. Now I had tested the hook was OK before tying the fly on, and it was the very first cast (and last :! ) that the fly had seen. But despite checking, it still went bang.

So my cautionary tale has some elements to it:
  • Always triple check your gear and regularly remove and check flies held in ethafoam/foam fly boxes
  • Consider flies over 5 years old to be suspect if they've been stored in a fly box
  • Prepare to do some tying... because as I look at a lot of my fly boxes there are great many flies there that are many, many years old - I can't be the only one :!
My suspicion is the culprit was rust that I couldn't see from being in the box for so long. If I can find the fly - chucked in a bag - then I'll share a photo.

H

Allan Liddle

Re: Hook 'fatigue' - a cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2023 at 13:52 »
Truth is you really just don't your own strength  *smiley-funny*

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2023 at 14:51 »
that's why you want a glass rod and not a dirty carbon poker.. *smiley-tongue-out*

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2023 at 20:53 »
Yesterday - whilst out testing a rod built by Sandy.....
No pokers present James  *smiley-wink*

Iain Stewart

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2023 at 07:44 »
Could be just manufacturing flaw too H and you were the unlucky QC Inspector.  You were just long range releasing for a change...  :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com