Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Re: Highland fishing 2023
« Reply #30 on: 20/09/2023 at 10:58 »
I almost forgot to do an writeup of my trip to one of Dornoch Angling Associations lochs on the10th sept....
Anyway, here goes
I got an invite to go and fish one of Dornoch Angling associations lochs as a thank you for trying up some flies for members so i was delighted to give it a bash
I have only fished one of their many brown trout lochs a few years ago and it was great fun, but this time i was on their stocked rainbow loch
The weather during the week has been boiling, hot and sunny
Luckily saturday was much cooler and i was to fish on the sunday
Turned up in the drizzle but the loch looked really nice. Their lochs are all natural and  in the hills ( one or 2 have very small dams to deepen them)

As you can see i was in my usual 'mode of transport'

Water was very calm so i went for an intermediate with a mini-humungous on the point and a PTKO on the dropper.

Within 10 mins my line felt very slightly heavy so i lifted my rod only to fins myself attached to a small 'bow

I then worked my way round the edge of some reed beds casting towards them.

Due to the weather changes you would not almost know you had  take till you tightened then found there was a fish on - it was like they were just holding the fly in their mouth to see what it was.

I fished for about 4 hours and landed 5 the best shown below

I also missed a few a lost a couple. All the fish were in amazing condition.

4 out of 5 took the olive mini humungus....

I'm not really a rainbow fisher but in lovely surroundings had a great day. Check out Dornoch Angling Clubs website  - they have lots of lochs and lots of choice with bank fishing as well as boats for rent.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 20/09/2023 at 13:26 »
Nice one James, good to see folk enjoying a bit of float tubing  :z16

John Wastle

« Reply #32 on: 20/09/2023 at 13:27 »
Thanks James. I have driven past these waters many, many times without knowing they were there and accessible.  A couple look worth a visit.
Johng

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com