Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Fascinating stuff
« on: 14/04/2023 at 18:21 »
This afternoon I watched a Stonefly begin its emergence from its nymph. I spent 3 hours watching it and then had to go home.
I had no idea it took so long for them to break out of the body. I did get a few step by step photos up to the point where I had to go home. would have been nice to see the whole thing, but 3 hours was enough even for my patience *smiley-tongue-out*

Mike Barrio

Re: Fascinating stuff
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2023 at 18:52 »
Interesting stuff Sandy, you've certainly got more patience than me!

What were the river levels like today?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2023 at 21:26 »
Water levels were a touch too high and it was still a touch dark (export colour)
I think tomorrow and Sunday will prove to be rather good, all being well

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #3 on: 15/04/2023 at 17:39 »
Fascinating for sure. Wondering if there was something wrong with it as 3 plus hours seems a long time to remain stationary and so vulnerable to predation.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 15/04/2023 at 19:59 »
Kerry
Apparently its a nymph for an Orange Striped Stonefly and they usually Hatch at night and it can take many hours for them to emerge.
So it was unusual to see one starting during the day.(info courtesy of Craig Macadam at Buglife)

Today while I was out I was visited by an adult Orange striped Stonefly who came for a photo shoot, so we can see what the nymph would eventually turn into.
Looks pretty different given it seemed really yellow during its emergence. .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com