Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Chamberlain

Total beginners help needed-Isle of Lewis
« on: 12/04/2023 at 13:28 »
Hi all,
My family and I moved to Ranish a year ago, our house is roughly 8 miles from Stornoway. I started fishing when I was around 8 or 9 on local canals and rivers in Gloucester, then moved on to sea angling when my family moved to Devon. I am almost 50 now and have fished on and off all my life. So its sea angling I have done the most off, mainly from the shore. Since living here on the island I have done a lot of lure fishing for pollock and mackerel but nothing else. I have had mixed results, I have caught loads of mackerel and a few decent pollock of around 3lbs.
I tried fly fishing when I was a kid, I bought a cheap rod and reel and tried to teach myself when on the annual holiday to the Highlands. It didnt go well and didnt last long! I have come to the conclusion that its daft to be living where I do and to be fishing in the same way for the same species as I did for years in Devon where I grew up. So, can anyone out there advise me on fly fishing from scratch? I dont like the look of the beginners kits much. I see Orvis do a rod and reel combo for £200. I think spending a little more on a separate rod and reel is the way to go? Primarily I would like to fish for trout on the abundant lochs/lochans that surround me here. I would also like to fly fish for sea trout and other marine species and I realise for that I will need a different rod/reel combo to the trout set up. Also, I have no idea how the licensing works here or anywhere else, I have never had to worry about it before. So how do I acquire the correct licence and are there other things to consider such as the landowner or private fishing rights etc etc?? I am only interested in Lewis and Harris at the moment, first things first!! There are a few small lochs near my house which could be ideal to practice on but I want to be confident I have the right to be there and paid all my dues etc.

I appreciate I have asked a lot here, enough for two posts probably!! Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Mike Barrio

Re: Total beginners help needed-Isle of Lewis
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2023 at 14:56 »
Welcome to the forum Dave  :z16

The Hebrides are not my forte I'm afraid, but somebody else will hopefully help you out with where to get permits etc .....

I think there is a tackle shop in Stornoway, usually a good place to ask initial questions about permits? See https://www.facebook.com/gofishfly

You are certainly going to enjoy a lot of great fishing over there  >)

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2023 at 19:19 »
Dave, the very excellent Stornoway Angling Association is where you should start: https://syangling.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063594636426&fref=ts

In terms of kit, more expensive is not necessarily better. Best investment you will make is in getting some lessons. There may be opportunities on Lewis/Harris, but if you're in the Inverness area there are a number of qualified instructors who could help you out.

Hamish

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2023 at 15:20 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:23 »
( This is a back up post - originally posted by Dave Chamberlain )

Thanks very much for all the help and info. I will contact Stornoway AA and go from there.

Thanks again
Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:25 »
( This is a back up post - originally posted by John Wastle )

Hi David,

Having visited Lewis and Harris a few times over the years I know that you have some great fishing in the isles. As mentioned, SAA is a great starting point as the have fishing for salmon, trout and sea trout on river and lochs.

Another name that crops up frequenly as source of help  is Donnie McIvor, angling development officer

https://www.outerhebridesfisheriestrust.org.uk/staff

Some very good shore fishing for species up to very large skate. I recall there being a very active sea fishing club in Tarbert.

A 10' 6wt rod would cover most freshwater situations, maybe a 7wt if leaning more towards salmon.

John

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com