Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Light boat rods
« on: 26/02/2023 at 08:06 »
Generally speaking, average wild Loch trout are about three to the pound.
There are exceptions, but if we are honest, on most Lochs a fish of a pound is considered a good one.
So, when boat fishing, why are rods rated #5-7 the most common?
When out with James a couple of seasons ago he was enjoying catching these wee trout on his little glass rod. They put a satisfying bend into his rod and it seemed to me, a very sporting way to fish. The only problem with the short rod is that the top dropper could not be worked effectively or flies left to hang for long before lifting off.
In preparation for my next trip to the Lochs I'm working on a 9'2" #3 , for pulling a team, that can have a 2' section added, 'on the go' to give an 11'2" #2-3 drifter.
It works nicely on grass. Can't wait to try it out properly.

James Laraway

Re: Light boat rods
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2023 at 08:32 »
Totally agree Terry, lighter is better with an exception...

I moved away from #7 carbon some years ago, first to a #5 carbon then to a #6 (as I like to throw lures)

I then moved to #4 glass and pretty much dumped the heavier rods, unless blowing a hooley.

The only issue like you say if that glass is short, usually<8ft so I would imagine a #3 9ft plus carbon sounds perfect

Now also  owning a #7 glass I'd say that you still get a bend in your rod vs #7 carbon . Don't know what it is about glass but it bends a lot deeper than carbon allowing smaller fish to fight. Much more sporting..

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 26/02/2023 at 08:40 »
Now that an interesting Idea Terry and quite similar to something I was playing with.
But from a different angle. I like the idea of the two lengths though and it make for a potentially very versatile rod that would switch from the river to the loch easily too.

I've built a few Euronymph style rods now and the one that seems to be coming out as the favourite is the North Fork Composites 11' 2wt. Now as a euro nymph this is very much a 2 and happy with a 3, but its very light In the hand and has a very fast tip that bends progressively with a fish (of any size)
What I've noticed is that if you overline it then it seems to be a really nice 3/4wt roll casting/spider/light switch and potential drifting  a team in a boat rod.
I've only cast it like this on grass so far but I think it has real potential as a light boat rod, just need to get another one built up to try out in this way, this year.

Would be interesting to see how the two compare when the time comes. as it might suit different folk.
Your idea works for someone fishing the river with dries and spiders who then wants a longer rod for a boat. (more what I would do)
The NFC is euro nymph rod  that can be overland to become a very nice light long boat rod (which might appeal to some of the Comp guys)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 26/02/2023 at 09:52 »
I'm pretty sure Allan Liddle and I had a chat about this concept some time ago - same sort of idea, removable section to change  one rod to something longer/different.  I don't think it was with Marrayat, perhaps it was a conversation he had with B&W at some point :? Dunno, that chat was quite a few years ago, but the concept stuck with me.

I am in favour of the idea of a decent 11' to 12' single hander for fishing from a boat that is lighter than most - up to a #4wt - but I don't see a removable section to get two for the price of one as the answer for days afloat on the loch.  As I'd have the space to do so on a boat, I'd rather take another rod around the #6 range for wielding 'cutlery'. However, if I were fishing rivers more often, travelling light,  not wanting to carry lots of gear, then I can immediately see the benefit. Be intriguing to see what comes from the development  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2023 at 10:13 »
If think that i used a Greys 'convertible' #3 a few years back but i think the extension section was something like 6 or 8 inches long....

Will be interesting to see your new rod Terry - i think it really will work and be more 'sporting'

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2023 at 11:36 »
I have just timed how long it takes to add a 2' section, fitted with 2 guides, to a rod that is already set up = 24 seconds.
Could be useful when conditions change when in a boat. Maybe the competition boys would be interested? So, I'll work on a 6-7 weight too.

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2023 at 11:39 »
I have just timed how long it takes to add a 2' section, fitted with 2 guides, to a rod that is already set up = 24 seconds.
Could be useful when conditions change when in a boat. Maybe the competition boys would be interested? So, I'll work on a 6-7 weight too.
Right - back to making a few more 'openguides'  :)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #7 on: 27/02/2023 at 11:43 »
Terry,

I've often thought about the same thing......but I think the rod line weight rating is more to do with the weather conditions than being matched to the size of the quarry.

Without a doubt its super to catch wee broonies on a lightline rod when conditions allow.   But often not an option when launching a team of three size 10s in a wave,  :z8.

My boat rod of choice is a Bloke 11ft 5ft, I built during Covid......this matched with Mikes DT6ST  is my plan for the boat on big lochs this year, :-)

Steven

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 27/02/2023 at 13:49 »
I agree to a certain degree Steven. My answer to fishing a team of heavy flies in strong winds is to use the 15' 'wafter' - still only needs a 3 weight line!

Steven Kidd

« Reply #9 on: 27/02/2023 at 13:53 »
Terry,

Sounds like fun that actually, :-)

Steven

John Wastle

« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2023 at 16:36 »
I think it is an idea well worth pursuing Terry. I am a convert to light lines for most of my wbt loch fishing. I bought a Hanak Alpen 4 in 1 Nymph rod 3 years ago, not because  needed another nymph rod but because I wanted to try it as a long light rod for short lining. I gave up on 11' #6/7 rods in favour of 10'ers many years ago because of the effort involved. But sometimes you want that bit extra reach.

The Alpen can be set up in 9'6", 10', 10'6" & 11' as it has two extensions, 6" & 12", that can be used singly or together.

It's a great bit of kit
9'6" is a really nice precise dry fly rod on rivers and lochs
10' slows down a tad and is a great alround loch style rod.
10'6" hasnt been used
11' is good short lining from the boat or tube and can be pressed into use as a makeshift dapping rod.
All (except the dapping) with a Barrio Mallard WF4.

Its also a very adaptable big river nymph rod.

John

Michael Kearney

« Reply #11 on: 27/02/2023 at 23:01 »
An interesting thread this. My own fishing has progressed to using light rods with soft tips and nice progressive actions.
I’m not a boat angler, but may become one. I fish the lakes of the Tasmanian highlands from the margins or by wading the shallows, and I fish rivers in Tasmania, South Island, New Zealand and more recently the wonderful river Don.
On small, often bushy streams I use a Epic 4 weight, 7 foot 6 inch glass rod teamed with one of Mike’s GT90 lines which allows me to get a fly in front of a feeding fish using unconventional casts. Held low and to the side to stop wild browns getting among the roots or under log jams, the rod hoops over as it bends deep into the butt.
On rivers I mostly use a 9 foot 6 inch graphite 3 weight rod built on a Spanish-made Maxia blank and built by the team at Stickman Rods in Hungary. I like one of Mike’s GT90 lines when fishing with dries and emergers. To present nymphs upstream, I use one of Mike’s older Mallard WF lines to which I attach a leader I tie with inline indicator sections inspired by a YouTube video posted by Howard Croston. This is proving a wonderful set-up to cast upstream to fish visibly feeding on nymphs. This very light rod has great feel and protects light tippets that are often necessary with small flies to match the hatch of Deleatidium mayflies on rivers such as the Mataura in South Island. I caught some good fish on the Don with the rod last year and enjoyed wonderful fishing in South Island in November and December 2022 when it allowed me to land wild browns to 7lb 8 ounces.
I'm looking forward to returning to the Don in late April.
Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com