Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Re: River Don 2023
« Reply #30 on: 01/05/2023 at 14:53 »
oooooooft - some nice trout there

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 02/05/2023 at 21:59 »
A cracking afternoon upriver with Sandy and Simon today  :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 08/05/2023 at 17:43 »

Ive been out a few times over the past few days, the weather has not been pleasant, but it was good for the fishing

Some great hatches of olive uprights, times seem to vary and sometimes they were in bursts and sometimes in sustained hatches

some good fish looking upwards

Lots of wandering around to find some fish, but if you found one there was often 3 or 4 together

Included one of the prettiest fish i've ever seen and it was a chunky monkey too

Another week of holiday left to go and find a few more, so hopefully the rain doesn't spoil things too much

Steven Kidd

« Reply #33 on: 08/05/2023 at 17:45 »
Magic Sandy, :-)

Saturday I'll be out and about, can't wait.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 08/05/2023 at 19:10 »
Great stuff Sandy, nice pics  :)

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #35 on: 08/05/2023 at 21:23 »
Was out on Don today cracking few hours on the dry's. No pics but fish to 3lbs. Worth getting wet!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 14/05/2023 at 17:31 »
Been varied conditions this week, Tuesday afternoon I got totally soaked and watched this guy from under a tree for a while

The rising water, washed out the upper river on Wednesday but Thursday afternoon I found some fish happily picking off olives

Friday saw a variety of flies with some Brook duns in the mix along with hawthorns and grannom

Different fish seemed to be after different  flies
So a bit of careful watching was required

A lot of them were quite close in but Friday was a good afternoon  >)

Today I found lots of grannom clustered together on the vegetation, interesting as I’ve. Not noticed this before

When the rain stopped they took to the air in a biblical mass, not a fish to be seen other than a few wee ones taking the uprights.
Lots of spinners about too including the Brook duns which are very impressive insects

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 14/05/2023 at 18:38 »
Great fly pics Sandy  :z16

Michael Kearney

« Reply #38 on: 17/05/2023 at 20:45 »

A lovely day on the Don today. The water is noticeably warmer and at a good level. As I’ve seen for a week now, thousands of adult Grannom drifted upstream and downstream from 10am. The rising trout were more interested in Olive Uprights, although they ignored my size 14 CDC Spider. I switched to a Jeremy Lucas Plumetip in a size 16 and, when that was refused, a size 18. That worked.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #39 on: 17/05/2023 at 21:58 »
Nice one Michael, all part of the daily jigsaw puzzle  >)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #40 on: 21/05/2023 at 23:21 »
Hello,

Funny day today where I was ......... cold North wind  *smiley-unhappy* ........... still managed a good few bonny fish, fishing Clyde Style, 'Yellow of the Mavis'.  :-)

It surely has to be better days soon!

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #41 on: 22/05/2023 at 14:44 »
'Yellow of the Mavis' ...... I like it  :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: 24/05/2023 at 19:25 »
Nice stuff, good to see a few folk out and about.
I've stuck to daytime hatches with plenty to choose from ,Uprights still appearing and their spinners are dancing too

Been some good sport if you take the time to watch and figure it out, even on the brighter days.

hawthorns, grannom, other brown sedges,

Small dark olives and even a few iron blues make for getting the fly choice right a bit tricky.
I've found fish in different parts of the same pool picking off different bugs

I've not been down for an evening mooch around yet, but I will be giving that a go next week. im expecting to start to see yellow mays very soon too.
Getting warmer already, which is never great, even though the water looks really beautiful just now with the trees in full leaf

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 25/05/2023 at 09:19 »
Nice pic of the upright Sandy  >)

John Wastle

« Reply #44 on: 25/05/2023 at 13:41 »
Some lovely fish above. On the subject of Uprights, I fished the Tweed last night for my first evening session. There were few duns hatching but the air was thick with spinners and before long so was the water. I found the usually reliable polywing spent spinners completely ineffective. I had noticed that a lot of the spinners coming down were not truly spent, with wing(s) still upright so dug around and the closest I could find was a  Greenwells Glory tied with a reddish furnace hackle and cdc wing. That sat much higher, was easy to see and worked a treat for the brief spell the rise continued.  It was reminder not to dismiss the traditional fully hackled  flies we used to rely on in a spinner fall . A few pheasant tails and greyhen and rusties need to be tied!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com