Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Innes

Truim or alternatives 2nd week September
« on: 07/02/2023 at 14:03 »
Hi all - we have booked a house in Newtonmore for the 2nd week in September for my son's 21st birthday, I fancy a day or two after the trout (I usually fish the upper Don for trout). After reading How to fish a Highland stream, I quite fancy a day on the Truim (before I get too old!). I can't seem to find about permits - seems that the local Angling association  only allows local season ticket holders access, but I think some of it is controlled by an estate, does anyone have any experience of it?

Also wondered about other burns/rivers in the area that are lightly fished with  the chance of a few brownies that anyone can recommend? I'm not really interested in still water.

Thanks in advance for any help

Colin

Allan Liddle

Re: Truim or alternatives 2nd week September
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2023 at 22:45 »
Not sure you can get access to the Truim?
Upper Findhorn good for trout but can be pricy at that time of year.
Spey between Kingussie and Newtonmore can be good, the area around where A9 crosses is pike central.
Calder ok(ish) if there's water, heard Tromie can be ok (likewise needs water), Spey at Aviemore / Boat of Garten and Grantown really good for trout, again pricy though.

Hope this helps.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com