Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Mackenzie FX1 clearance
« on: 06/02/2023 at 16:34 »
Just exactly that, Scott and team are clearing down the stocks of FX1 rods to make way for the FX2 - details of the discounts available are on the Mackenzie website when you look at FX1 rods:

https://www.mackenzieflyfishing.com

Now...  it's possible that the Saltwater range of FX1 are some of the very best, if not the best, salty/predator rods I have cast and I have tried a great many. The #8 and the #9 are just sublime as, importantly, they are fishing rods and not the dull lifeless cannons that some rods seem to be :!
If you're in the market for something like that and have the coin to spend, you should seriously consider one.

H

James Laraway

Re: Mackenzie FX1 clearance
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2023 at 22:26 »
Ooof that's still a fair bit of coin.... *smiley-wink*

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2023 at 18:13 »
Ooof that's still a fair bit of coin.... *smiley-wink*
True, I wouldn't be buying one weekly, but a world class rod for that sort of price has to be tempting if you're looking.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2023 at 17:01 »
I also have a 10' #6 XF1 Andrew  :z16  Lovely rod to use and very versatile.

Hamish Young

Re: Mackenzie FX1 clearance New
« Reply #4 on: 10/02/2023 at 20:10 »
My credit card thanks you for the heads up on this - I seem to be amassing quite a Mackenzie quiver all of a sudden.
Scott has some super rods in his product range, so I understand the collecting habit :!
The 10’ #6 FX1 is my all time favourite sea trout / muddler rod.
It's a super rod and a truly versatile all-rounder. I am rather hoping that the FX2 equivalent will be with me shortly for some 'testing'  >)

John Wastle

« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2023 at 12:01 »
Apologies for this being my first post. I have been registered a while and been meaning to post an introduction. I'll do that later on.

However I saw this thread and as I am in the market, wondered if anyone could comment on the FX1 9' #6?

I'm looking to retire a rather elderly Orvis silver label and am looking for something a bit lighter and crisper without ending up with a casting cannon. The 9' #6 is my "heavy duty" stillwater dryfly rod and one I use when bank fishing in windy conditions or casting  heavier flies.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks, John

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2023 at 14:39 »
The FX1s are all quite crisp John, nice to use with plenty of backbone. They are lighter in the hand than many other peer premier brands with excellent blank recovery.

Coming from an old school Orvis you may find that you don't have to 'drive' the FX1 as much as the Orvis, slow it all down and you'll get the most out of the rod. More than capable in the 9' #6 for all you've mentioned - and more.  My only real criticism is the cork handle on all (except the Saltwater) FX1s are on the small side for me - I do have rather large hands - but it is smaller than I am used to.
Line choice to match the FX1 is going to be a thing too, depending on what you already have in a #6 :?

John Wastle

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2023 at 21:14 »
Thanks for the comments Hamish. I like the sound of it. Slim handle is good for me. I am going to try and get hands on one at the weekend.

A GT90 and a short head Wychwood Connect rocket taper are the 6wts I use most depending on conditions.
John

Andy Finlay

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2023 at 21:15 »
Do they have unit where you can go and check out the rods in Inverness or am I looking at shops that stock or order online and hope I like one.

Asking as up in Inverness soon and tempted to look at a new rod.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 04/04/2023 at 17:07 »
Best reach out to the guys at Mackenzie and see what they might be able to do  :z16

Andy Finlay

« Reply #10 on: 18/04/2023 at 19:16 »
Best reach out to the guys at Mackenzie and see what they might be able to do  :z16

I did and met Scott last week  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com