Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rodney Stock

Fly fishing September in Scotland?
« on: 01/02/2023 at 05:37 »
Hello all. I was wondering about diy fly fishing Scotland. I’m not opposed to fishing with someone. I’m just cheap and I enjoy trying to trick fish into eating my flies in any manner(dries nymphs or streamers) I was just wondering about what species fish would be worth going after in the end of September to first few days of October. My wife and I are headed to Scotland on vacation for our 25th wedding anniversary. She’s given me the okay to fish. We live in Montana. I mostly trout fish here. I grew up in Alaska and have done some spin fishing for salmon and fly fished for trout and dollys several times.
I am more than likely only going to be able to fish 4-6 hours 1 day most likely. I have never caught a pike. It looks like you have some pretty nice ones there. I’ll be throwing my waders/boots in and will most likely be wade fishing.
It looks like anyone can fish without a license except for certain areas along the England border?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tight lines,
Rodney

James Laraway

Re: Fly fishing September in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2023 at 16:27 »
In Scotland the wild trout season is from 15th March to 6th October  - however some places don't allow wild trout fishing past the end of Sept - so very much depends where you are thinking about fishing.....

Although you will often hear that "you don't need a permit / license to fish for trout in Scotland" that is also not really true.

Yes you don't need a rod license like you do in England, but you do need the landowners permission to fish - and that may involve having to buy a permit.

Best thing to do is look where you are staying then choose a water and try and contact the owners for advice.

hope that makes sense ?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com