Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kav Ring

Small/light reel wanted
« on: 24/01/2023 at 22:04 »
Good evening
I have a lovely little 1wt glass that I need to fish more in the new season (or worry some small course fish when the rivers drop down here). I currently have a 3" green condex that looks good but feels heavy. If anyone has small light reel or recommendations of what to look for that would be great! My brother had a small bfr rim fly that looked ok
Thanks for any help

Graham Nicol

Re: Small/light reel wanted
« Reply #1 on: 25/01/2023 at 07:58 »
I have a Redington Zero 2/3 which weighs only 77g and has to be one of lightest reels out there.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 25/01/2023 at 09:34 »
Depends on budget.
Danielsson Midge is about the lightest reel to suit a 1wt, they are pretty good prices at the moment, direct from Danielsson.
I've just had Ben Perrin make me a 3" LA reel with a click check that takes a 2wt, its pretty light, that was surprisingly great value for something that's been handmade.
and it balances perfectly with a 6ft6" 2wt.
Glasgow angling had a chinese copy of the hardy marksman type reel with the hole in the middle that they were selling off, they were better than expected when i looked at one down there.
No Idea what it was called and i don't think its on the website.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 25/01/2023 at 10:23 »
a Vosseler Air 1 (3/4 size) comes in at a mighty 97grams...if you want light...

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2023 at 11:35 »
James - just weighed an old bfr Rimfly LW = 164gm with line and backing - so not very light by modern standards.
Glad I found it again because I've gone back to full framed reels.
Vossler and Danielsson  :z16

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #5 on: 25/01/2023 at 12:45 »
Danielsson and Vosseler for me too on quality and price. Danielsson ahead for me on after-sales service; no reply from Vosseler about spare parts despite 2 emails sent from me, the second written in German.

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 25/01/2023 at 13:46 »
Danielsson and Vosseler for me too on quality and price. Danielsson ahead for me on after-sales service; no reply from Vosseler about spare parts despite 2 emails sent from me, the second written in German.

I have a reel from both manufacturers.

My Danielsson has never gone wrong so i cannot comment on their customer service.

Vosseler is another matter. They are very well known for having shockingly bad customer service. I was lucky enough that my issue was sorted out by someone i know who can speak German and is rather 'tenaceous'.  Without her help I would have gotten nowhere with Vosseler. My experience with Vosseler is that you will get one or two emails from them and if they think its 'too much work' they simply stop replying to you - and that's Ralph who is the owner I'm talking about !
Their reels are LOVELY though....

Kav Ring

« Reply #7 on: 25/01/2023 at 17:53 »
Thanks everyone, I have a Danielsson  on my 4wt and nice reel and feels good to support smaller businesses.
I read the review in trout and salmon about the Perrin, very cool looking reels and as you say good value for custom/handmade piece of kit (but sadly a bit out of my range currently)

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #8 on: 27/01/2023 at 17:01 »
Try a Goture reel cheap and very light weight , worth a punt at the price

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com