Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Smock or Jacket?
« Reply #15 on: 30/01/2023 at 22:03 »
Great stuff Steven :z16

The Hoggs of Fife Struther Smock was £73.90 including shipping, so we're in the same ball park 👍

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 30/01/2023 at 22:10 »
If it's that price I think I'll have to look at the Hogg's one.....
What's the sizing like Mr B?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 30/01/2023 at 22:20 »
Sizing is good James, I got the medium  :z16

Got mine here, and it arrived quickly: https://hollandscountryclothing.co.uk/products/hoggs-waterproof-smock-jacket
Lots of reviews on there that include sizing feedback.

Cheers
Mike

Steven Kidd

« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2023 at 15:52 »
James,

Sorry for the late reply:

Good review on youtube.

Here is where you get one, great quick delivery, I got mine in 2 days.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-windproof-anorak/60199

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 04/02/2023 at 12:43 »
On the topic of jackets:

I was going to throw my old black Orvis fleece jacket out, as the zip kept popping open and had become a bit annoying!

It has been a great jacket over the years and certainly doesn't owe me anything.

I tried the usual crimping with pliers and thought about getting the zip replaced, but guessed the cost would probably rule this out.

Had a lightbulb moment - could I just replace the zipper? I watched a couple of YouTube videos, got a zipper on Ebay, and managed to fix it.

It feels good to fix things (when it works) I wonder how many more years I'll get from the jacket now  >)

John Wastle

« Reply #20 on: 18/02/2023 at 13:13 »
I bought the Hoggs smock a couple of years ago and am really happy with it. The front pocket appealled to me for keeping a flybox and essentials handy to avoid regular rumages in the rucksack up in the hills. It is also accessable secure storage for phone or camera in the tube.

It is quite versatile depending on what you wear under it. Cool enough with a t shirt, warmer with a thermal base layer.

It is waterproof enough to wear if the forecast is showers. And it dries fast enough. In persistant rain it tends to absorb water much more quickly that a shell jacket. If it gets wet and dried a couple of times it starts to tell you it needs a wash and I am not convinced it will stand up to too many wash cycles and stayvwaterproof.. Time will tell but I will be happy with it as a windproof, showerproof top layer.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com