Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin McPherson

Hand Net ??? ( Salmon Fishing ) Thoughts
« on: 04/12/2022 at 20:26 »
Hi Folks . after selling some Skiing gear i have some money burning a hole in my pocket  and looking at salmon nets .

Whats everyones thoughts on carrying a hand net for salmon ,   I started heading out more for salmon at the tail end of the season , When out for brown trout  i always carry a net and I would say pretty much all Brown trout fishers i meet do the same .   But when it comes to salmon fishing i see far fewer folk with nets  so i was wndering what the majority of folks thoughts on the positives and negatives of the Salmon Net , the size i think could be a negative , or is it that the prefered method is to beach them  anyway just wondering the reasons regarding peoples choices to carry or not carry a net.
Thanks in advance.

Graham Nicol

Re: Hand Net ??? ( Salmon Fishing ) Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2022 at 07:55 »
I used to never carry a salmon net and tailed/beached all my fish but when I moved to Devon and fished the Taw found a net vital for there are limited beaching areas as this river has many high banks. However, I still find a net to carry a nuisance and so have come to a compromise and use a Sharpes grilse/sea trout net. It will easily land a grilse or salmon up to low teens in weight and should I encounter something larger then that is a nice problem to overcome!

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2022 at 08:35 »
Hi thanks for that , the net you mentioned was the one I was considering for the very reasons you gave 🤙

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2022 at 09:56 »
So, i have used these for a number of years - https://www.flytyingcompany.co.uk/scierra-large-trout-net.html

although they are 'large trout nets' they easily swallow grilse and double figure trout, and at the price they are a bargain !

I also have a macleans seatrout net but that is an 'over the shoulder' number....and 3 times the price....

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2022 at 19:33 »
Thanks James

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2022 at 08:48 »
Nets and self-have a love hate relations with each other. I can carry a net all day and get nothing. Leave it behind and get a fish.
Bob.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 07/12/2022 at 10:08 »
I had a full size Salmon net, but found it a pain. I'm with you guys, a Seatrout net has always served me well  :z16

Personally, I don't like the large mesh that some nets come with, as I find fish get tangled in them, so I seek out something with a medium to fine mesh. I think Sharpes come with a finer mesh than they used to.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com