Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gary

Opening Day
« on: 06/03/2008 at 13:43 »
Right, the trout season opens on 15th March.  However, many waters (including as I understand it the River Don) do not actually open until 1st April.  Indeed, some waters don't open 'til even later (I understand Loch Lee opens on 1st May).

Even the ones that do open on 15th March don't really fish well that early in the season.

My point is this - would it not be simpler to have the season on all waters open at the same time, ie. make opening day 1st April?  What is the point in having a season start but most of the waters are still shut?

Does anyone here go fishing prior to 1st April (for wild trout I mean)?

Gary.

Hamish Young

Re: Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2008 at 14:36 »
My point is this - would it not be simpler to have the season on all waters open at the same time, ie. make opening day 1st April?  What is the point in having a season start but most of the waters are still shut?

Interesting topic Gary  :z16 I take onboard your point but would make the following observations. The fishing seasons are prescribed by law is a maximum figure - ie - the longest amount of time you may fish for these species legally.
It is within the power of individual proprietors/boards/trusts to choose when they have their waters open to suit local conditions. For example, one might reasonably go the Tweed in pursuit of some of it's trout in early March as the chances are spring will be further progressed there (and therefore feeding for the fish is more readily available) and the fish will be in better condition than, say, those in the hill lochs above Achiltibuie where conditions are less likely to have been favourable for the fish to 'come on' to a decent catching condition.

So that's why we have a maximum duration season and why some waters choose to open later - Loch Lee being a sound example.

Why not make them all the same :?  Well, you could. But is it not reasonable to suggest that Shuggy down in the borders might want to go fishing for Tweed troots which are in fine order in late March but can't do so because waters elsewhere brought about a change in law which dictates he can't go out until early April  :z10 In other words what suits one river/loch doesn't necessarily work for another elsewhere.

I do take you point and would say in all fairness that only the local proprietors/boards/trusts are in a position to make an informed decision about when the seasons start and finish within the prescribed maximum season duration. So the status quo will most probably remain on season duration.

I take the view that 1st April to end September is probably spot on for wild trout, but that's my view.

Hamish  :z3

goosander

Re: Opening Day
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2008 at 20:00 »
 The fifteenth of March is the most important day in the year for me. Working outside it means that spring is nearly here. A new season has started. A few hours fishing and then a good meal with friends, life does not get any better. We have been doing this for many years and the good feeling one gets is better than any doctors medicene.
One would also add that several times fish have been had on the dryfly

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com