Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Hart

Loch Callater
« on: 07/08/2022 at 14:14 »
Took a trip last night that I've been meaning to do for a while....the trip didn't disappoint, but unfortunately no Pike for me  :z8 .

The trip was mainly to try out my new camping gear, but I brought my 9'6" 7wt fly rod and some hefty pike flies (and also my spinning gear boo hissss I know I know  :X2 ). What was strange, was that there was zero activity in the loch itself at all. I was there from about 3pm and all through the night and didn't see a single fish rise even though there was an abundance of fly life on the surface. I think this goes to show that there really mustn't be many trout at all in there - I would imagine because they are probably a Pike's favourite breakfast, lunch and dinner! I tried with both the fly and spinning gear and had no joy at all in the loch....not even a nibble. There was a chap on the other side as well who was dead bait fishing - I don't think he had anything either, or at least I didnt see/hear him fighting anything, or the alarm on his rod stand ringing.

I moved up to the inlet burn at the east side of the loch for a look up there and straight away there were trout moving.  Not many rises, but plenty movement. What I noticed most was that they spook so easily. As soon as I got to within about 15-20 feet of the water's edge you could see the bow waves zipping all over the place in panic. I had a couple of takes on the dry but couldn't get them on they spat it so quickly! Quick go with a spinner and had a couple of trout about 6-8" long chase it, but not take it.....after this I thought right that's it, time to pitch the tent and have a wee dram  :z18 !!

Casting from the beach well in to the night and not a tickle ... off to bed for me.

This morning I headed back down the hill, with a small dry fly on and tried the burn on the way down, another few missed rises  :X1

Switched to a wee black pennel and kept myself well back from the edge so most of my dry line was actually on the rocks and only my leader was in the water - finally, even though it was only small, I was rewarded with a wee brownie. I think the main thing really was about being as stealthy as possible, because after that I had another half a dozen. Better than a blank right?!  :z16 ..... only just though :X2 .... and on a 7wt rod it was a bit pointless really, but I wasn't going back to the car without hooking something  *smiley-funny* !

I had a search on here about Callater before hand to see if anyone had any past experiences. I found some info but not a massive amount, and nothing very recent. If anyone reading this has had any recent experiences it would be great to hear if they were similar to mine - or if not what I needed to do differently for if I head up again!

James Laraway

Re: Loch Callater
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2022 at 20:23 »
Awesome write up.... :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2022 at 20:40 »
Great stuff Matt, and lots of nice pics  :)

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2022 at 07:29 »
Great write up and pics matt - worthy of a magazine  :z16

Matt Hart

Re: Loch Callater New
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2022 at 10:33 »
I spoke with Invercauld Estate earlier in the year about getting a day ticket for the Clunie between the ski centre and the golf course - seems good value at about £8/day, £15/week and £45/season :z16

That sounds very interesting indeed, beautiful place to fish!

Thanks for all the nice comments chaps  :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2022 at 10:21 »
been up to the loch a few times, Never seen the burn that low.
Shame the deeper pots  above the car park run through a gorge as it looks like it would hold a few trout.

Cracking spot for your wild camp.

Ben Crichton

« Reply #6 on: 03/01/2023 at 18:51 »
I really hate seeing people live the life I want to live🤣😆 Only joking. I'm typing this with my 12 day old daughter sleeping on my chest and my 5 year old son wreaking the house up stairs. Our time will come.......

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com