Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rod actions
« on: 03/08/2022 at 19:51 »
What are people’s thoughts on rod actions?

For a while I was using a fast actioned/tippy rod with lovely tight loops and firing out loads of line.

But then I realised whenever I was using a team of flies they would end up in a fankle while casting, and I was ripping the hook out of the fish’s mouth when striking excitedly.

I’ve recently switched to a glass rod (made by Sandy of this parish) for smaller rivers, and an old school 11’3 Daiwa for sea trout. They’re much more forgiving when striking and playing brownies, and nothing is better than feeling the rod load nicely on the back cast. The Daiwa is also better suited to open loops.

Is there a general move away from ultra fast rods, back to where we were 10-20 years ago?

Given the price of second hand Whiskers on eBay, I do wonder if this is the case.

Mike Barrio

Re: Rod actions
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2022 at 12:57 »
Hi Andrew

This topic comes up every now and then, for example see: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8226.msg68064#msg68064

But yes, I think you'll find that most river anglers will prefer a more through action rod, I know I do  :)

Cheers
Mike

Terry Coging

Re: Rod actions
« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2022 at 16:15 »
My latest 15' wafting rod is more though action and it makes presentation with 3 flies so easy.
Here is a short video (if it works) of an early season buzzer session with an old  #3 Smallstream line with a 4',4',10' leader with 2 normal buzzers on droppers and a tungsten head buzzer on the point. Effortless presentation. Look how the rod 'bends' but still nice and parabolic when playing a large overwintered rainbow.

Sorry - unable to add short video -  :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com