Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Desperate Dan? New
« on: 29/02/2008 at 17:18 »
Hi folks :cool:

I have been very disappointed to find more than one angler fishing with "propellor flies" and metal "fly spoons" recently and the anglers concerned were fully aware that these were not allowed at Haddo ............... So why were they using them?

And just before I get off my soap box ........ I am told that more than one local tackle shop is selling them, in amongst all the other fishery type flies that they stock ? Why? ..... These are not allowed in any of the local fisheries.

Mike

Jay Scott

Re: Desperate Dan?
« Reply #1 on: 29/02/2008 at 17:32 »

Hi Mike,

We sell them in Sloans not too sure why though don't sell too many  :z8 i'll try to make it aware to some customers  :z16

Cheers,

Jay

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 29/02/2008 at 17:34 »
Hmmmm - not good, seem to recall seeing these 'flies' for sale in more than one well established tackle emporium in the NE  :z10 The only conclusion I can draw is that some folk are simply too lazy to learn to fish imaginatively and resort to these desperate tactics :-X  ::)

Whilst the fly-spinner hybrids have been around for a long time (and one could reasonably argue that certain developments in tube fly design within the salmon fishing world are pushing the limits of what can still be called a fly) it is perhaps time these hybrids were removed from tackle shop shelves once and for all.

goosander

« Reply #3 on: 29/02/2008 at 19:10 »
Trout and Salmon magazine had some photos of ones made at the start of the 19th century so they have been around for a long time. Personly i do not understand why people [not going to call them anglers] find that they have to break the rules just to catch a fish. It seems pointless to me.
Salmon fishing is a diffrent ball game and tubes replace spinners for those of us who like to wander about with a fly rod.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 29/02/2008 at 20:15 »
Some folks , are just to competetive , Alpha Male stuff. They seem to think that if AN Other catches a dozen fish , they should to and will do at all costs.

Sad but true. They totally miss the point , thats is not what fishing is about.  At the end of the day its themselves they are cheating.

:z18

Jim

Che

« Reply #5 on: 29/02/2008 at 21:12 »
Why would you bother, you must surely be better off with a baitbox full of worms or a pint of maggots  :z13

Iain Goolager

Re: Desperate Dan? New
« Reply #6 on: 29/02/2008 at 22:07 »
Why would anyone want to hurl those monstrosities about? You've more chance of catching your nugget than a fish.

Innovation's a great thing but ignorance is not - anyone blatantly flouting any fisheries' rules should be read the riot act.

An act like this speaks volumes for the integrity of the 'angler' - I'll wager that they've lots of other sinister traits - never debarbed a hook after the bag limit for example. If it looks like s**t and it smells like s**t, etc.

I'm a fair man though and if YOU are reading this then please don't be afraid to ask for help - there are lots of guys to help with both fly and method selection.

onwards and upwards.

Iain

kenny

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2008 at 19:57 »
 Hi Folks

was at haddo today and when we put the boat along side the bank to go for lunch ( due to weather ) i noticed a metal "fly spoon " attached to the anchor so I snipped it off and took it back to mike. I think that any one using these things on any fishery should be banned at once and there name circulated among the fisherys.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2008 at 20:02 »
Hi Kenny

Welcome to the forum :z16

Yes, thanks for that, there was one on Ross's anchor yesterday too.

This is the secret folks ........ don't leave it up to the fishery manager to sort these folk out, your help is very much appreciated and I know that many of you are keen to look after your local fishery and your local fish :wink

Thanks again
Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 01/03/2008 at 20:28 »
As the fishery manager Mike what's your views on other anglers 'challenging' those who are obviously breaking the rules :?
It'd piss me off no end to see it being done and I'd be inclined to say something if I saw it but some guidance from individual fisheries on 'what to do if you see a rule breaker' might be prudent and useful for this topic  :? :z17

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2008 at 20:52 »
Good point Hamish :z16

Yes ....... No challenging please.

I would suggest that a trip to the hut for a cuppa ( or a call of nature :wink) and a quiet word in the manager's ear would be the best thing to do if you see somebody doing something like this, rather than waiting till the end of the day. This way the manager can keep an eye on the angler concerned for a while and make a decision about speaking to them based on what he sees.

This way the angler will not know that you have brought it to the manager's attention and nor will anybody else.

This also gives the manager a chance to work out if the angler is perhaps a learner who might appreciate a little help and guidance :z17 or somebody that obviously knows what they are doing and should be asked to leave.

This would be great thanks :cool:
Best wishes
Mike

Tam Greenock

« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2008 at 20:30 »
I remenber when working at Bangour Fishery a few years ago we tried out a spinner that we confiscated and it was devastating,we nipped of the hook at the bend and nearly every second cast was a take.  :shock

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 02/03/2008 at 20:49 »
The problem with these things, as you will know Tam, is the damage they do when swallowed, when the "angler" gets broken or the knot slips :z6

Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 03/03/2008 at 07:01 »
Cow pie :!

:z8

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 03/03/2008 at 09:56 »
Hmmmm...and now for something completely different  :z7

Firstly, Hardy were selling and making "propeller" flies back in the 1800's....Arnt Hardy the ultimate fly fishing company  :z4 :z4

I am a little supprised that Mike thinks the flicker spoons does damage. The hook is, what, about a size 10? Same size as many "lures" used by anglers, so surely there is no difference in the potential damage caused to a fish if broken off?

Also, whats the difference between using a flicker spoon on a fly rod to using a fly such as a blob, that contains no natural material and is really designed to be an artificial bait rather than a water bourne creature?

Is it because its seen as spinning and therefore treated with disdain by fly anglers?..even though it is fished on fly gear?

Is it banned on many waters because it is too successful?

and finally....if it is against the fishery rules, then my stance is the person should be asked to leave in no uncertain terms  :mad

:wink :z7 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com