Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Hard Work
« on: 03/03/2008 at 11:45 »
Gent's,

Just a thought (which I've had for ages) but isn't it detrimental to a persons longevity to fish lures?

Typically ...only typically mind;
you strive for distance - strain
you retreive quickly (I know the figure of eight is a very effective way of fishing a lure but stay with me) - strain
you cast x amount of times more frequently than someone fishing say a dry - multiplied strain.

The reason I bring this up is that the club I fish for must have an average age of +/- 63 and the last 3 or four years have seen almost all using more traditional flies (mainly buzzers and nymphs) which they say helps them fish a considerable time longer without getting 'cream crackered'

as I said just a thought.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

Re: Hard Work
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2008 at 16:08 »
Pick up a 10 weight single handed rod and spend a day punching 6 inch flies into the wind on a place like Venacher..then define cream crackered!.. :wink

Seriously though, i love buzzer fishing as its so relaking, or fishing a short "dibbled" line off the boat rather than long casts with a lure and sinking line.

Irvine Ross

Re: Hard Work
« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2008 at 17:37 »
Don't know about longevity of the whole body but it is definitely a lot easier on my slightly creaky shoulder to fish all day with a 5 weight, or better still a 3 weight, rather than a 7 weight so I haven't fished with lures for years.

Not quite 63 yet but getting closer every year :z4

Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com