Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Left or right hand wind ?
« Reply #15 on: 06/07/2022 at 11:49 »
My arm ached for a day or two after - there is not way i could have done that with my weaker arm ! I'll try and find a photo

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 06/07/2022 at 12:03 »
that does look uncannily like me....

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 06/07/2022 at 14:29 »
on a single hander...

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #18 on: 06/07/2022 at 16:52 »
Supposedly known as being Bidextrous and is most commonly seen in sports.
For myself, I'm right handed - cast with right arm and wind with left hand. "Normal".
Darts - right handed, pool/snooker - I'm a leftie.
Now the weird bit - give me a pistol and I'm right handed (pull trigger with right forefinger) BUT give me a rifle and I'm left handed - butt against left shoulder trigger finger on left hand.
Tie my shoelaces left handed.

Some of it is down to your dominant eye (my left) and genetic (mother was a leftie, father a rightie) factors.

James, you always knew I was weird, here's your confirmation.

Btw, I'm typing this on my phone - the right hand holding the phone and left forefinger doing the typing!!!!!!!

Terry Coging

« Reply #19 on: 06/07/2022 at 21:37 »
I've been exactly the same as you Graeme, due to left eye being strongest. Also boxed sou'por and held bow in right hand and arrow in left. Even dealt cards left handed. Since losing sight in left eye at 80 I have shot right handed.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #20 on: 18/07/2022 at 10:06 »
Right handed and wind with my left hand..........

Now there is another carry-on I've noticed as well James...........fly reels wound clockwise to retrieve line........in other words a right hand reel wound with the left hand......

The world is indeed mad.

Steven

Kav Ring

« Reply #21 on: 20/07/2022 at 21:17 »
Interesting one, there really isn't a right way or a wrong way, but that's one of the beauties of our hobby  >)

I have always fished left hand wind - but don't worry, I have my quirks!  Knives & forks, I eat with the knife in my right hand and the fork in my left, but as soon as I put the knife down the fork mysteriously ends up in my right hand  *smiley-lol*

I'm right handed and have left hand wind reels, but always use a fork in my right hand (same as spoon) and my dad and bro are the same.

James Laraway

« Reply #22 on: 20/07/2022 at 22:06 »
Its been a long time since I saw someone doing that. I'd forgotten it's a 'thing'. Honestly, you can't make it up 🤣

Right handed and wind with my left hand..........

Now there is another carry-on I've noticed as well James...........fly reels wound clockwise to retrieve line........in other words a right hand reel wound with the left hand......

The world is indeed mad.

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com