Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Burgess

New here thought I would introduce
« on: 03/07/2022 at 13:38 »
Hi, new so thought I would introduce myself.

I have been fly fishing about 3 years, still learning lots and getting confused at the same time. I mainly fish at Rescobie Loch just outside Forfar.

I will probably get some lessons sorted for the coming weeks to sort casting faults out, so far everything I know has been learnt from youtube and on the net.

I am planning upgrading rod and reel shortly, more because I want a long term kit that will last me many years, and so want to upgrade from by beginner set up still not sure the way to go with that but I will ask about that in the tackle section.

anyway hope to bump into others on here some time

Mike Barrio

Re: New here thought I would introduce
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2022 at 13:58 »
Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2022 at 23:07 »
Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the forum. I used to fish Rescobie regularly when my father in law and his wife were still alive. They lived in Inverkeilor so I used to nip across and fish evenings when I visited with my wife. I still do a lot of loch fishing from the boat so I look forward to seeing what sort of outfit you are looking to upgrade to.

Eddie

Sandy Burgess

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2022 at 19:46 »
Eddie sorry for the delay in replying.

I went to Angus Angling, and took a casting lesson, was glad to know my back cast was fine and just my forward cast and hence presentation on the water, I also reviewed the gear I had, at the time I was using a Shakespeare Agility 2, 10ft with 7 weight. with floating line, I was advised the set up is pretty decent for still water but a couple of options of lines would be good.

I went back to them and purchased Midge Tip Line (slow sink tip, I think) and Intermediate sinking, both airflow lines.

It wasn't needed but I have since purchased a Vision Still Maniacs 10ft 7 weight rod, I have been out about 4 times with this set up and although not taken any fish, I have got on a lot better than previously. Just need to get out practicing now, really happy with my set up.

Please note no pressure from Neil at Angus Angling and fully recommend his services and shop.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2022 at 14:39 »
Hi Sandy,

You would have gotten great advice from Neil. He is a good bloke and very knowledgeable. I go to his shop anytime I am in Forfar. Hope you christen the new set up with a fish or two soon.

Tight lines,

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com