Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Nicol

Chalkstreams part 2
« on: 25/06/2022 at 16:34 »
I thought it would be nice to follow on from my first thread showing some other parts of Hants and Wilts chalkstreams.
Some people’s perception is of them small and idyllic but as can be seen below the Test at Broadlands outside Romsey is both wide and fast flowing. Last season they had 60 salmon with 2000 passing through based on a counter they have there

There are quite a lot of coarse fish in the lower river and the photo below shows chub congregating to spawn in a tributary at Broadlands

Chub at mayfly time are fun as they gulp the fly down and then rocket off to the nearest snag. Hold him and he is yours otherwise adieu .

Now compare the upper Test which is more one’s perception of a true chalkstream
This is near Whitchurch well up the system

By the way there are some mighty odd fishing huts to be seen. This one is at Compton on Test

Another river my club has beats on is the Avon. The lower is famous for coarse fish and salmon at the Royalty, etc but the upper above Salisbury is a trout and grayling mecca. It is not a true chalkstream but is called green sands but nevertheless behaves in every manner like a chalkstream. However, when it rains heavily it does colour up and rise. The photo below is at Wilsford. Wading is permitted which is a godsend for watercress at the margins is thick

I believe the Avon to be the best grayling river about. Oct/Nov sees me on it a lot and most of my fishing is still with dries if the weather is kind. Thereafter nymph is the focus. I have had days of close to 100 grayling and although most average about 1lb i have had a lumps such as the one below last season

I will finish with another lovely stream the Wallop Brook which joins the Test near Houghton. This is a very difficult stream with extremely clear water and being shallow has spooky fish. By Early June weed is a major problem as it does not get cut often but nevertheless is a delight to fish.

So once again i hope the above gives you a feeling and flavour for chalkstream fishing. Quite different to the Don but it has many attractions as well.

Mike Barrio

Re: Chalkstreams part 2
« Reply #1 on: 25/06/2022 at 22:13 »
Nice one Graham  :z16

Yes, very different, but sure looks like a great variety of fishing  >)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com